[ SHOWGSD-L ] You are not what I am, I am not what you are. That is a good thing

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:33:39 EST

In a message dated 12/22/04 8:22:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx writes:
.......except in the case that the Stud Dog Owner is also responsible  for
bringing more lives into the world and thus should be just as  concerned
about
where and how the progeny of their stud dogs are  raised.  Doesn't that make
them
a breeder, of  sorts?

No, that makes them a responsible stud dog owner.  The person who  breeds to
that stud dog is responsible for the litter, whelps the litter, finds  homes
for the puppies and is who decided to do the breeding. That makes that  person
the breeder.  The stud dog owner can refuse to breed his or her stud  dog to a
bitch, that makes him or her a responsible stud dog owner, not a  breeder.

It is similar, (shut up Paul) to calling a sperm donor a Father.   While the
stud dog owner is responsible for allowing bitches to be bred to his  or her
dog, they are not responsible for the litter, what happens to the puppies  or
what is shown from the litter.  That is why a stud dog owner is not an
exhibitor, or a breeder.

The AKC requires litters or champions to be bred by a person before  they are
licensed to judge. That is in recognition that owning a stud dog does  not
make you a breeder. It does carry responsibility to the breed, that should  not
be abrogated or denied.

But, you cannot stand a dog at stud and then call yourself a breeder.   Well,
actually you can, but you also can stand a dog at stud and call yourself a
genius.  It does not make it true.

Evan
_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together