[ SHOWGSD-L ] Yet another New answer.

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:05:20 -0700

Evan posts...

 What Fred said, that we the judges are judging to establish what to  breed
to, is something I do not subscribe to.

Fred responds...

That is not what I said I said we judge to find the dog who most closely
meets the requirements of the standard. Not the best showman. Now the people
at that show may be looking for breeding stock or to see how what they own
/bred stacks up with the competition. And they may or may not pay more
attention to what the judge likes. Obviously they want the judges opinion or
they would not be there. Now God forbid you would I know not tell people
what to do with their breeding program. In fact you are always telling
people NOT to pay any  attention to you<G> . But if you like it or not you
probably have influenced a breeder or two with your decisions as a judge.
Fred

Paul adds...

Judge's are the "guardians" of any breed. By their selections...they are
giving exhibitors and ringside bystanders an opinion that says these dogs
are as close to the requests of the Standard as any dogs here. These are
good dogs and if you were to emulate them...a Judge with the same knowledge
would award them.

The only problem with that analogy is their opinions are very subjective and
based on their own interpretations of their respective Standards. But...Fred
is right. If a breeder sees a dog receive an award from a Judge...it is an
endorsement. If that breeder can use such a dog in his or her breeding
program to improve their own dogs...well the answer is obvious.

I have seen (as well as been involved in) shows where Judges offered truly
varying or different opinions. I have judged dogs that looked "lazy" in some
folks eyes. Lazy only because they were so efficient in motion. They went
from point A to point B using 1/3 less steps than a dog who won the next
day. My interpretation of the Standard coincides with the quote..."Covering
the maximum amount of ground with the minimum number of steps". Speed
burning quick steppers don't do well under me nor do they emulate the
Standard.

It is my hope that those breeders and interested parties do take heed to the
selections of Judges they respect and adapt those dogs they can use to their
own needs.

Paul