[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Yet another New answer.

  • From: PlushPuppyOhio <plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:16:26 -0700 (PDT)

I hear about top producers, ROM bitches.... etc.... that never achieved their
championship, and were never shown in the show ring, and most people would
never know about.   There's a top breeder who always says "if you like the dog,
breed to the sire."

To me, shows are a chance to see what I should be breeding FOR.  The selects at
the National are the quality of dog I should be trying to produce..... they
have the package deal I should desire....  but they aren't necesarily what I
should be breeding TO.   Those two things could be very different.....
depending on what your starting with.

Sean

ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/10/05 10:04:16 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, InquestGSD
writes:
But the fact remains, dog shows are one of the ways used to evaluate
breeding stock.
And yes, you can disagree with my correctness.

We may be splitting hairs here. I agree that people who go to dog shows
often do so to evaluate the dogs to determine if they are going to breed to
them
or not. It has often been said that people breed to the dogs that win, I do
not agree.

I believe the reason that there seems to be a relationship between what wins
and what is used for breeding, is that the good breeders use the good dogs,
and the good judges put up the good dogs. The relationship is not that people
do what the judges tell them do.

That has always bothered me, when someone tells us that everyone flocks to
breed to the Select dogs, just because they went Select. It is not the cause
and effect that it seems.

What Fred said, that we the judges are judging to establish what to breed
to, is something I do not subscribe to. As a judge, I never think about
breeding while in the ring, and never want someone to take my results and use
my
opinion to do the planning for their litters.

On the other hand, if they are as smart as me, (or as stupid) then they will
probably breed to the same animals that I put up. Which it might be,
depends on the person.

Evan

_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come together

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

http://mail.yahoo.com