[ SHOWGSD-L ] Xylitol dangerous to dogs...(in sugarless products)

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:06:55 -0500

This just came thru on one of my other lists...it's a serious thing we should
all know about!
Peggy

Ok dog lovers , here is a heads up. Tell all you know that have a pupper or two.
This is REAL not a hoax. Xylitol is in a lot of stuff, and the gum thing is
such a bad one. Have a safe day everyone!  I checked this out and it is correct.
 Something we usually don't think about.
 Everyone knows to worry about chocolate.

      Xylitol warning: Sugar free gum, candy, etc.

  This is a danger I was unaware of until Friday.
  Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is being used now
  in some sugarless gums and candies as well as other
  products. I found a reference to a toothpaste with
  xylitol, for example. Xylitol is very toxic to dogs.
  If I'd known this, I never would have been casual
  about leaving a pack of gum lying around the house,
  any more than I would be casual leaving a bottle of
  poison within their reach.

  Please help spread the knowledge of this danger so no
  dogs have to go through what mine are even as I type
  this.

  My Keeshonden have been in the emergency vet hospital
  since Friday evening after getting into a nearly full
  pack of Trident sugarless gum. Worrying about whether
  that much gum would cause an intestinal obstruction, I
  got on-line to check. To my surprise and horror, I
  found several articles about Xylitol poisoning in
  dogs. This substance is not digested by humans but is
  by dogs. It causes insulin production and a resulting
  drop in the dog's blood sugar. Hypoglycemia is the
  result, with possible seizures, coma and permanent
  liver damage. Deaths have been reported as well.

  http://www.holisticvets.com/NewsLetter/ChewingGum/ChewingGumNewsletter.htm