[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Xylitol dangerous to dogs...(in sugarless products)

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:08:13 -0500

more on Xylitol
:

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/Foss-Tox_Brief-Nov_VT_04.pdf?docID=3781

  A quick check showed Xylitol was in the gum my fur
  boys ate. Off we went to the emergency vets. Animal
  poison control was called and their protocols are
  being followed to try and prevent liver damage in my
  dogs. In less than an hour, my boys' blood sugars were
  already dropping. Normal is in the 80 range. My boys
  were down to 71 and 59 already.

  Because I happened to do this check on the gum, having
  no idea the gum itself was toxic, it looks like I did
  get my dogs to the vet in time. They have been on a
  dextrose drip since animal poison control was
  consulted. The dextrose has done its job, and my dogs
  have had none of the complications that go with
  Xylitol poisoning. We won't be out of the woods,
  however, until the drip is removed some time later
  today (Sunday). When this happens, we will see how
  their bodies respond. Hopefully their blood sugar
  levels will stabilize and we can put this nightmare
  behind us.

  Please cross post to your dog lists and forums. Inform
  your friends, neighbors, dog training groups, etc. We
  need to spread the word about this danger so that as
  many dog owners as possible become aware of the
  presence of Xylitol in the items we bring into our
  homes, and the danger it poses to our dogs.