[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Where Humane Society Donations Really Go

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stormy435@xxxxxxx, shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 06:54:17 -0700 (PDT)

USAP has been working hard to uncover the operations of organizations such as
this. They were instrumental in obtaining an undercover video of the gas
chamber used in Carrollton County Ohio in an attempt to have it shut down. I
have been grappling with writing something to you all regarding this video that
was on the news in Ohio....they did show the gassing of the dogs. That video
will stay in my mind and heart until I cross over...there just seem to be no
words I could find to adequatley portray the horror....of dogs trying valiantly
to escape the box only to be brutally shoved back inside as the lid was slammed
shut on their lives. Many dogs at one time...the report indicated that some had
not expired during the first round of gassing. LHSH is dedicated to eradicating
the use of these machines of torture...for this is animal cruelty at its
highest form, being paid for by YOUR tax dollars!!!
We will be at the Bay State show in Boxboro Mass on June 13....please stop by
and say hello! We will have literature available regarding the states that
still utilize this method of destruction along with other inhumane methods of
euthanization such as IP or IC (both done in some instances without the
mandatory sedation required by the AVMA).
LHSH has written a strong letter to IFAW regarding their lack of involvement
with the animals in THIS country who are struggling against all odds, and the
many Rescues who are finding themselves facing closure due to financial strain.
We have also written to
News outlets such as Fox's Gretchen Carlson, Channel 4's Joe Bergantino and his
Investigative team here in Boston, have spoken with the National Enquirer and
are working to set up Meetup's via Meetup.com where we can take advantage of
educating the public and finding volunteers in our community. We are currently
creating a Facebook page to outline our ongoing efforts in hopes of
fundraising. We now have an online store attached to our Webpage! Please visit
as we have many "non dog" related items for sale as well!
With every purchase through USBones, you have the opportunity to name LHSH as
your charity of choice, which will bring in 25% of your order directly to us! A
big thank you to Sally Hayden for her generous donation of the sweatshirts!
They  are absolutely beautiful!

This week found a home for King....a dysplastic senior at Angel Ridge in Pa.!
We could not be happier for King! Ryan, (the one eyed GSD who lived in a wet,
dark 4x4 kennel for a year) is still with Pat Lukos enjoying the late spring
sunshine! While we know that at 13, Ryan's time is limited, he at least will
leave this earth having known that he was cherished for the gift he is to this
world. In one 24 hour period, Pat Lukos received 6 requests for assistance by
owner turn ins. One of these will be heading to Angel Ridge with LHSH support
for his neuter/vaccinations. We will make every effort to network the others in
hopes of finding space in a Rescue in their area. This is in addition to the
multiple other GSD's who are waiting patiently in facilities nationally.

 One such shelter is Amherst County in Virginia. LHSH would like to welcome
Heather Haudenshield (trained animal behaviorist) who together with LHSH VP
Karin Baldwin will be going to the Amherst County shelter today to temperament
test a GSD who is currently in residence. The ACO there, Bart Shaw is dedicated
to Rescue and has been diligent in contacting Karin whenever a GSD lands in his
care. Bart was the ACO who was instrumental in the last minute saving of
Pauley; the severly overweight owner surrender GSD. While Bart wrested Pauley
from the grip of the "Humane Society"  that he shares building space with,
Karin set about initiating the volunteer transport from VA to PA, which
included a volunteer from the animal hospital that provided Pauley his health
certificate, on to a Collie Rescue who overnighted him, transporting him to
Pennsylvania to an Akita Rescue who overnighted him. Pauley was met and brought
the rest of the way by LHSH Board member
 Joe Maringo. Karin and Heather were also recently responsible for the freedom
flight of a boy named Duke who was left in the nightbox drop at Amherst
shelter, who has already found his forever home! LHSH is fortunate to have such
dedicated Board Members, Officers and volunteers such as these! If you ever
find yourself with an empty crate and are traveling to a show and you would
like to assist with a transport for a GSD who has received a clean bill of
health, please dont hestitate to contact one of us! Today is the Senior
Shepherd girls last day in Roanoake Virginia....LHSH is working on a potential
situation for this dog pending the temperament testing. This was reported to us
through a Vet who is active with the Bedford County Humane society. This is how
the determinations are made for assistance. While LHSH DOES send out
introductory letters to many Rescues, we do not have volunteers in the more far
flung areas. Obviously, the larger our base of
 operations, the more requests we receive for assistance thereby necessitating
more and more fundraising campaigns.
To that point, please remember our Rainbow Bridge Project that will be at the
National this year! For a small donation of 5$, you may put a picture of your
beloved companion who has left this earth on the Bridge for display at the
National! We have already had 11 dogs requested to be added...could yours be
number 12? I am hoping to bring this Bridge to the Bay State show...space
available in my suv.
As always, LHSH would like to thank the Administrator of this list for allowing
us to post GSDs in need and offering updates. We could not have done what we
have done without you.
The Team from LHSH

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven
Donations may be made to:
Paypal via windwych@xxxxxxxxx

From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Where Humane Society Donations Really Go
To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, May 14, 2009, 7:38 PM

ATLANTA -- A Channel 2 investigation is looking into millions of
dollars in donations given to the Humane Society of the United States.
A national consumer organization says the society solicits pet-lovers
for money, but little to none of that money ever goes to help local
shelters.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19463509/detail.html

Read the commentaries, too.

Stormy Hope
www.carpoc.org
AKC Legislative Liaison, GSDCA
Sunshine Squad <showgsd.org/sunshine.html)
GSDs and more

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.