[ SHOWGSD-L ] Whelping Problem? Update

  • From: "Rockenstein, Zoa L. " <zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:46:36 -0500

I wrote a few days ago about my bitch Venus'  temp being at 98 for 3 days with
no puppies.  This became 5 days at 98 with no puppies.  I want to thank
everyone who responded.  Still no puppies, but I learned a lot, both from
horror stories of dead puppies/c-sections and from those who never take temps
and just let nature take its course.  I heard about bitches delivering on the
68-70th days with no problems.  Advice ranged from take her in for a c-section
immediately to have a drink and relax.  I decided that I needed to know if the
puppies were alive.  A follow-up ultrasound yesterday confirmed that all five
had strong heartbeats.  When the vet took her temp, it was normal.  He wondered
if there was something wrong with my thermometer, a new digital one.  I
wondered if the temp had spiked back up.  It was 99 this morning.  We are on
the 63rd day.  She did some scratching in her bed at 2:30 this morning.  She
seems like something is going on.  I have to go to work for a couple of hours.
It wouldn't surprise me if there were puppies when I get home.  I think
everything is okay.  The list is great.  I felt like I had a lot of very
knowledgeable and terrific people right here with me.  Thanks Again! I hope I
get to meet some of you at the Midwest Futurity.  Good luck to everyone this
weekend!

Now, in the words of the old song:

"Venus, if you will...please send a little girl for me to thrill..."

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
RiverRock