[ SHOWGSD-L ] What's in a name?

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:26:39 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 2/13/13 8:20:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx writes:

If you  click on GSD' there is Asgard's Justus there now..

_http://www.freedogtree.com/dog/asgards-justus-dl42023804_
(http://www.freedogtree.com/dog/asgards-justus-dl42023804)

Cute puppy.

This is interesting since I am an attorney and never named a dog Asgard's
Justice.

When we first came into the sport, some 40 years ago, we decided to pick a
kennel name. We were going to go with FranJo, but were told by Larry and
Hazel  Parks that someone in Indiana was already using that.  I guess they
already  had bred some famous dogs, so we should pick something else.

I wanted to use Covy Tucker Hill, as it just had a nice ring to it. Then we
 realized we might leave Michigan and move to California, and there were
some  young women using that name, and it was already known in shepherds, so
we needed  to find another name.

Tedi was teaching Mythology in high school at the time and suggested
Asgard. It was where all the heavens were, and seemed like a reasonable enough
kennel name. We checked with the AKC and no one else had registered it.  We
considered registering it, but found out someone in Florida was also using
Asgard.  I decided that the country was big enough for two German  shepherd
kennels with the same name, and perhaps they would produce some good  dogs,
and people would think we did it. So, we went with the name, never
registered it, and have used it ever since.

We didn't invent Asgard, some very old old old person did it, in Norse
mythology.

If anyone wants to use FranJo, Covy Tucker Hill or Asgard, I guess they can
 do so.  They also might want to consider Eden, Depahl, Winsome, Darby-Dan,
 Schatzmar, Marhaven, HiCliff, Wolf Creek, Caralon QED, Triphill, Karizma,
Kaleef,  and a few other names than seem to denote good dogs.

Why reinvent the wheel?  Just pick a good name, and go for it.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together