[ SHOWGSD-L ] What it means to be human

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:33:55 -0400

You all already know being human means we have our faults as well as our
attributes.  Most of us would rather be remembered for those
attributes.  In light of some of the posts lately that showed many of
our faults, I wanted instead to concentrate on our attributes as human
beings.
Evan wrote about the terribly difficult time that Tammy is going through
with this "monster" disease known as cancer.  And we just lost Ricky a
couple of days ago and all the others this past year.  There's probably
not one of us who hasn't been affected in some way by this "stealer" of
lives.  I myself lost my own beloved mother last year from this
"killer".  It not only affects the person who suffers this horrific
disease, but all those who love this person as well.  I was my mother's
care taker and health decision maker.  Believe me, there was no glory in
that.  Mom was a very proud woman and never wanted to be a burden to her
children and never asked anything from us.  But toward the end is when
she became most child like and it gave us the opportunity to experience
what it truly meant to be human.

We on this List have shown time and time again what a great "family" we
are in time's of trouble to our fellow man.  We've reached into our
pockets and hearts so many times over the last couple of months to come
to the aid of those who are suffering.  While some of us can donate
money to help, not all of us can.  However, there are other ways that we
can help that can prove just as beneficial.

For those who live close to Tammy, maybe some of you can gather a few
dollars together and fill her car with gas.  How about taking turns
bringing a meal to her during those times she finds it most hard to
cook.  I don't know if she has in home nursing care, but anytime that
you can go and sit with her to read to her from the GSD Review, or the
GSD Quarterly, or how about some of the "lively" discussions that are
posted on the List each day; I'm sure she would enjoy that.  And
gossip.......there's always gossip to share with her in this beloved
breed of ours.  Helping around the house with some small chores would
always be appreciated.  How about giving her a day of beauty at a
salon......have her hair done, or nails done.  Take her out for lunch.
How about putting together a collage of all the post cards and greeting
cards she receives. Surround her with the things she loves.  Gather
small funds together and pay a bill for her.  Clip out coupons from the
sunday papers and magazines to make grocery shopping a little less
expensive.  Give her magazines to read that you have finished using.
Buy her pretty warm nightgowns and slippers for her feet to wear now
that the winter is around the corner.  Rent a movie, pop some popcorn
and sit and watch it with her.   Bring some biscuits for her dogs who
may feel a little neglected during these trying times.  Most of all make
sure she receives the rest that she needs and that she doesn't get too
tired out.  She can become overwhelmed by all of this.  Hold her hand
when she cries and just listen because this is what she needs the most
is for someone to just listen.  Also very important........let her
remain as independent as she can, because this will make her feel like
she's still contributing to her own life.

For the rest of us who don't live near her, our donations, cards and
phone calls will be just as appreciated, I'm sure.

There is nothing more rewarding, no matter how small it is, when we give
to our fellow man/woman.  For although we do it for them, it makes no
one feel better than us............for it shows us "what it means to be
human".   Best wishes,  Barbara Galasso