[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What is the problem?/my rude awakening

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:56:57 EDT

I agree.  I had a rude awakening when showing a very young,  headstrong,
happy, vibrant "life is one big party!!!!" girl who was admittedly a  great BIF
pain in the a** for the handlers, I was told "we need to give her  something".

WHHHHAAAATTTTTTTTT? (Oh yeah, this was suggested ringside in a very matter
of fact way.  What does that tell you????)

"WE" didn't give her anything.  Ever. I got smart and I'd leave her  outside
overnight before the shows, she ran and played and played and ran and  was
toned down a few notches show mornings. (And she finished easily.  And  I
absolutely loved the performance venue w/ this gal because she was just so
"up" and
ready to do whatever was asked.)

It's not the dying by itself that's a problem.  You can fix  pigment in a
generation.  It's covering up  the undesirable  traits that's at issue, and
that
just happens to be one you can see pretty  easily.

Color and temperament are pretty easy chemical fixes.  Pray tell, what  about
the things you can't see?

And whenever this topic comes up, the conversation eventually evolves  into
the question "Are litters born today better overall that those in years  past?"
 10 years ago I might have said "yes".  Now, I'm not that  certain.

I can't find a pedigree without bloat/torsion in the first 3 generations
(including siblings).  I've heard more about toxic gut in the last 2 years
that
I did in the prior 5.  Lots and lots of GI problems and the special  diets
people go to great lengths to feed their "special needs" dogs....while
admirable, it alarms me. (For the love of God, don't breed them!!!!!) Immune
problems
that I'd never heard of I now know how to spell.  Reproductive  vets are
getting rich (and that ISN'T just because we're doing more chilled  instead of
shipping bitches).  Missing teeth?  An issue (again).   Temperaments?  Here
too, I
though we were making progress, but over the  last few years I think we've
taken a giant step backwards.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 10/5/2008 10:47:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Evan, IT  IS CHEATING....IT IS CHANGING THE APPEARANCE OF THE DOGS, IT IS
WITH DRUGS  MASKING FAULTS OF TEMPERAMENT OR LACK OF DRIVE OR MASKING PAIN IN
ORDER TO  COMPETE.