[ SHOWGSD-L ] What is Fear?

  • From: "Anja Heibloem-Stroud" <Anja_Heibloem-Stroud@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsdlistnew" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "MarcatoGSDJackie" <MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:32:01 -0700

My dogs tend to be ass..... and aren't really afraid of much! BUT when
confronted with a pissed off bull they are afraid. If they get in trouble
(mostly with me!) and I raise my voice they all tend to hide (my kids use too,
but now they just laugh at me!) So is this fear?  I've had totally sound dogs
blow the temperament test, and total idiots pass with flying colors! Fear tends
to be a instinct type of thing, like Jackie and her spiders. Something that at
one point in a dogs life (not something that we did, more like a genetic
instinct) was dangerous and fear/ instinct said time to break for the hills! I
think were fear becomes uncontrollable then it is a problem. Fire is a good
example, living where I do fire can consume my place in a heartbeat, yet I'm
not afraid of it, just of what it means. Horses tend to be fearful animals, run
like hell when a leaf falls yet I've seen them kick to snot a challenging dog.
Dogs not given a chance to get used to life will be afraid, not because they
genetically nuts, but because they were not given a opportunity to experience
that particular thing. Vacuum cleaner is a good example, pups who first hear it
are cautious, and if allowed to investigate on their own soon couldn't care
less. Yet if you take the same pup and run him over with the vacuum he will be
scared and may continue being scared of the darn thing. Now there are always
exceptions to this, and I find those dogs usually make the good police dog
candidate, they enjoy a challenge. I like these type of dogs! BUT they still
run from me when I'm mad!   Because I AM ALPHA......Haha  Anja
Anja Heibloem-Stroud
www.pet-net.net/hausmekon/