[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "What did you say? - Long

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 19:01:58 -0500

In a message forwarded by <acorreia1043@xxxxxxxxxxx>  Jackie Writes:

<<  ...And I stand by it, because that's exactly what I've gotten out
of most (show) GSD people.  They ignore and ignore and ignore you
until you pay your $66, and then all of a sudden "Hey! You're great!
We'll tell you anything you want to know!"  >>

Jackie, I'm a newbie too, but I have NEVER experienced what you
describe above.  In the summer of 2005, I decided to pursue the hobby
of conformation showing.  The first thing I did was join the parent
club.  Not because I was forced to join or nobody would listen to me,
but because I wanted to join.

Practically from the very day that I decided to enter this sport, I've
been treated with utmost respect.  The respect I've been shown has
absolutely nothing to do with my GSDCA membership.  I've conversed
with many "big" names, "small" names, and "in between" names, and not
one person has asked if I'm a member of the parent club before talking
to me.  Not a single person has ignored me until I whipped out my
"construction paper card."

The ONLY times I've been asked if I'm a member of the parent club, was
while I was looking to adopt a show prospect.  At that time, the
breeders did ask if I was a member of the GSDCA.  I was not offended
by this as I think it's important to be a member of the parent club if
you plan to participate in conformation showing - or other venues, for
that matter.

If after reading this message you should wonder why my experiences in
the GSD world have been so different from your own, I would suggest
you do some serious soul-searching.

There's an old adage that rings true in most situations in life:

"What goes around, comes around."

In this case, if you treat people with respect, you will in turn be
respected.  This applies not only to the dog show world, but to the
"real" world as well.

Another quote that comes to mind, and one that I dearly love, is taken
from Shakespeare's HAMLET:

 "...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it
so."

My last word of advice...  Jackie, time and time again on this list,
I've seen you "shoot yourself in your own foot."  You don't have to
make things so hard on yourself.  I think you have many issues that
have nothing to do with dogs, showing, or the GSDCA.  Please get some
help so that you can work through these issues and lead a happier,
more fulfilling life.

Respectfully,

Paulette McGuirt