[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What I would do

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bedkar@xxxxx>, <elg440@xxxxxxx>, "GSD list" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:47:37 -0500

I have to agree with Kay on this one.  I too have been attending many breed
seminars, German Shepherds are not the only breed required to have a well
laid back blade of proper length, good lay in of that blade, long upper arm
connected to the blade at the correct angle.  Also to be considered are the
muscles,&  tendons etc that connect these forequarter parts  as there is no
ball and socket  mechanism as with the rear. However, the GS Standard
differs from  other "working /herding breeds" as the
 standard calls for a more anglulated rear assembly.  We must have the
athletic and powerful drive and thrust from the rear with clean
follow-through for the forequarter to open correctly, from the shoulder, not
the elbow .  These many components that comprise the ultimate fore quarter
are, in my opinion, the reason we have such difficulty producing the
exceptional  shoulder. .
My first National was 1964, some of the mentors I was with were  Joe
Poepping, Scootie Sherlock, Noel Bloomer, Jim Moses was there with Ernie
Loeb, Joe Bahari etc. Much of the conversation centered around the great
dogs of the day and what made them great.  One could sit in the stands and
see one great shoulder after the other.  Mike, Judd, Rex Edlui Mabach (sp)
Stormhaven's Dolf etc, & these were just a few of many, It was difficult to
determine which one of those dogs you wanted to use first.  Those dogs,
especially when judged by Ernie Loeb did gait a lot but they did not race.
The GV from the previous year was a sable imported by Ernie,  Brix Von Der
Grafenkrone,  he had such a great shoulder, he looked like an Olympic
swimmer in very slow motion, much like the Beautiful GV of this year.  He
was the dog behind the lovely moving Waldesruh line.  Our new GVX and some
of our top dogs show that all is not lost ; front is still there to be had
but we have to work  very hard for it now and know our pedigrees.  It isn't
easy and sometimes a roll of the dice. As usual just my observation.
My congratulations to our top winners, to the award winners, Tish Walker,
Ann, Barbara Williams, and all the hard working exhibitors who worked hard
to condition their dogs, drive long distances etc.  Thanks go to Nanci
Nellis and her committee who worked tirelessly all year and to Patty  Korsch
who I hope is feeling much better, also to Amy our new National Futurity
Chair, who also became ill. & to the Beaumont Club Members.
Nancy
Breeders, please do remember to nominate your litters.