[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WAIT! why don't they advertise

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>, <SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 22:22:54 -0700

Wait, wait.......wait.........you can only blame so much on "Specialty"
people!?

I don't think Lissa meant that the difference between Specialty exhibitors and
All Breed Exhibitors
are the reason shows are failing?    Lissa was speaking of advertising in the
Review.
But....If you really look....a lot of the dogs are shown in both venues that
are in the Review!
I remember when Liz Oster bragged on THIS  List.....and we were all thrilled
when Oscar won
BEST IN SHOW!!     He's a high Select  Specialty dog in the ring and in
producing.
Out here in the West.... and I know in the East and in the South  there are a
LOT of people that show in both
venues!   Out here there is a whole group that works HARD to get big entries at
All Breeds and often the
Specialty people enter to help try to get them up to majors.
I love it when someone like Lissa has a GSD that wins herding titles and shows
in All Breeds also....so
the visiting public that visits these shows can see a real working dog.
We personally put Herding titles on our dogs and we DO stick mainly with
Specialty shows and definitely
prefer that venue.    BUT we finished our first Grand Victor at a big All Breed
show and our solid black
Grand Victrix at an All Breed show...........gasp!!!    <G>  ( GSD judges )
I don't see any reason for any 'fight' here....as All Breeds have a HUGE PART
in ANY Breed and there is
a definite need for BOTH.....they are merely CHOICES!    Not war zones.
It it were not for All Breeds....most of the general Public would never see a
GSD show dog as that is where
the public goes to watch.    They are much better P.R.  than our Specialty
shows for drawing onlookers!
But I also believe when you lose  your Specialty people.....in ANY
Breed.....you  lose your Breed.
Lets be kind to each other and not blame one group and their choices over
another .....for failed entries

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  From: Terry Cochran To: SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx ; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: why don't they advertise

  And there boys and girls is why we are loosing entries in the specialty ring.
Maybe, just maybe, we aren't so
   special after all.Terry

  From: "SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx" <SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx>

  The last time I advertised in the Review it was a two page color ad with full
pedigree of an at that time
  AKC Champion who had a Herding Started title. She did go on to get her AKC
Herding Advanced title
  and a Champion in a different conformation venue. All by the age of six. (She
got her Intermediate title
  one month after she finished her AKC conformation champion and had numerous
titles from other herding venues.)

  I have no intention of getting into the specialty vs all breed fight.   But I
chose the all breeds for the reason
   that the emphasis in all breeds is more generally compatible with the other
things I do with dogs.

  The Review welcomes all ads, the Board welcomes all ads. But honestly, When I
hear people on these
  lists go on and on about the superiority of the specialty dog why should I
bother?

  I finally said, have it your way, you win, I will take my marbles elsewhere.
I have been around for a long time,
  imagine what new people say.Lissa