[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Uggghhhh....I'm begging you...

  • From: Kate Syssoloff <rockannand@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:03:16 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

 =0D
It seems that most of the folks (that I've talked to) that favor no train=
ing
 show in specialty only, and the folks that also show in all breed want t=
hem
more trained and behaved.=0D
=0D
While I prefer showing in specialties, I've never been able to exclusivel=
gain all my points from that venue.  Be it a time issue to finish quickly=
 or
what have you...  my dogs need to be trained well enough to win under a
competent judge.  The more AB the judge is... the better trained my dog
needs to be.   I do feel that since my dogs dwell in my home over night t=
hat
I have an easier time with the training than the Breeder who has kennel d=
ogs
  Mine get to settle down.... bringing them in tends to gentle them as we=
ll,
and they get to fully understand the English language and learn manners.=20
Not to say the kennel dog cannot be turned out equally as well...  my poi=
nt
here is ... 'home school' is a short cut to the ring.  Living indoors fro=
8pm to 8am (12 hrs. makes a world of difference).=0D
=0D
What is difficult to achieve sometimes with training various temperaments=
 is
being able to promote the dog's 'natural free spirit'.  I do things proba=
bly
completely different from most.   When all the dogs are exercised (we hav=
e 5
acres of foot paths/track), they are loose.  No chokers or leads.  When t=
he
dogs are roadworked, they are on harness with the bells that we double th=
em
with attached to their withers.  No chokers or leads.  Their love for the
work is accompanied by the jingle of bells and they associate these bells
with fun.  We do not want an obedience trained dog...  we want them to be
more free.=0D
=0D
When puppies are first leash trained they drag us around everywhere...
through the trees, bushes... we follow them, it's their 15 minutes.  Then=
,
slowly we begin asking them to follow us.  With a pocket of treats and a
pocket of bells, we run backwards asking the puppy to catch us.  We teach
the stack but actually emphasize more on stand and stay.  Another exercis=
is watch me and where did the treat go?  The use of the choke collar is n=
ot
so much used for obedience correction as it is for simple control.  I wou=
ld
equal it's use to a cavesson on a young horse which is a superior form of
head collor (stronger than a halter), rather than...... a bridle with a b=
it.=0D
=0D
Kate Syssoloff - Rockannand=0D
Club Secretary, BCGSDC=0D
In Beautiful British Columbia, Canada=0D
SEL TIGER~SEL PATENT~BIM THE TANGO=0D
http://www.members.shaw.ca/rockannand=0D
 =0D
=20