[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Treasurer and Finances & mindsets.

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Chris S. Kimerer'" <tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l GSDList'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:56:07 -0800

Thanks Chris.   This post is much appreciated.
Most of us will live with a site being used for three years.   We understand
the need to try to stay
profitable........but....Three years in a row is kind of disheartening is all
to those that have trouble
getting there.   <G>    I'm not sure that improves entries and profits.  So be
it....

I really don't believe in the "damned if you do and damned if you don't" theory
though.
I think the members are very  reasonable  ( most of the time )...and since we
all have to function
on some kind of budget we more than understand most of those decisions.
The "unpopular"  decisions are the ones that the cause members to feel left out
with no chance
to vote on or reflect any kind of opinion on decisions that have to do with our
GSD Breed!!
i.e.
Bob Lindsay tapes of our Breed....Standard changes....voting on the choice of
separation...etc.
That is not a "damned if you do and damned if you don't"  mindset.   That is
more about members
that CARE about the Future of our Breed's History,  breeding and exhibiting....
and the National.
That's the passion of those that love this Breed and care.   IMO it should be
EXPECTED!

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Chris S. Kimerer (Redacted sender "tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Treasurer and Finances

I've been reading all the posts regarding the audit letter, QB and Financial
situation of the Club and have to chime in on this.  First off, I hope everyone
that has read the audit letter also took the time to read the Financial Review
and Recommendations that were made by Van Dukeman, Bill Hope and Sam Israel.
If you have not, it would be worth anyone's time to read them.

With that said, several of the recommendations made by that committee to make
the club more fiscally responsible and sound were acted upon by our board, to
some of the memberships dismay I might add.  One of the biggest issues has and
always will be our National, it is the either money making or money loosing
machine of this club.  One of the first and foremost recommendations was to
seek out a 3-5 year "same location" contract to be able to negotiate a better
rate.  The board did exactly that by going to Purina for 3 years, at the big
outcry of the membership I might add.  But what this will do is make the
National end up being profitable over the next 3 years, via significant savings
on facility rental and not having to purchase sod, both some of the major
expenditures for a National.

Another recommendation was to reduce the size of the board, which was also
done, and will save many more dollars over the next several years.  There were
several other recommendations, i.e. expenditure for the election process and
the membership budget, I believe that there has been reduction in that as well.

It was also recommended to have better internal auditing practices and apply
dual controls where applicable.  That was an aspect where I was involved with
on a personal level.  For the first time ever I worked the Parent Club Products
table.  Every single item that was sold was run through the cash register that
was programmed for each item sold, much like at a fast food restaurant where
each button is programmed for each individual item.  SO, we had to balance at
the end of the day.  I believe that was the first year this new procedure was
implemented, so instead of just entering in an amount of cash/check or credit
card received, everything was entered by the item being sold.  At the end of
each day, a final "Z" tape was run, and the cash, credit card and check totals
were then balanced by two people.  I come from a banking background so I along
with the new Treasurer Larry Rock decided that there would always be two people
handling the final count and balancing for that day.  After the entire week, we
balanced within $20 or there about.  In the beginning we had some issues with
the I-Pads being used for the Credit Card Sales, but to make a long story
short, we had a final tally to balance to by the end of the day, which is the
way business should be done.

The same procedure was applied at the Parent Club Table that sold the Catalogs,
Red Books and Dinner Tickets etc., each item was processed through the register
and at the end of the day, all monies received were balanced to the tape.
I know for a fact that QB will be used by the new Treasurer, and it's a really
good program.  I use it every day at the company that I work for, we do about
ten million dollars in gross annual sales, everything is processed through QB
and I do all the entering for that.  As some others have mentioned, it is very
easy and user friendly, I have not used the 501C version but am sure that Larry
will have it down pat pretty quickly.

As has been mentioned in prior posts, the board does have a fiscal
responsibility to the club, as well as needs to run the club as a business, and
from that standpoint has had to make some "unpopular" decisions, which results
in dammed if they do, and dammed if they don't.

Hopefully the GSDCA will see financial gains over the next few years,

Chris
Chris S. Kimerer
Hillside-Tanbark Kennels
            "where good bloodlines never die"