[ SHOWGSD-L ] Treasurer and Finances

  • From: "Chris S. Kimerer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Showgsd-l GSDList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:16:13 +0000 (UTC)

I've been reading all the posts regarding the audit letter, QB and Financial
situation of the Club and have to chime in on this.  First off, I hope everyone
that has read the audit letter also took the time to read the Financial Review
and Recommendations that were made by Van Dukeman, Bill Hope and Sam Israel.
If you have not, it would be worth anyone's time to read them. With that said,
several of the recommendations made by that committee to make the club more
fiscally responsible and sound were acted upon by our board, to some of the
memberships dismay I might add.  One of the biggest issues has and always will
be our National, it is the either money making or money loosing machine of this
club.  One of the first and foremost recommendations was to seek out a 3-5 year
"same location" contract to be able to negotiate a better rate.  The board did
exactly that by going to Purina for 3 years, at the big outcry of the
membership I might add.  But what this will do is make the National end up
being profitable over the next 3 years, via significant savings on facility
rental and not having to purchase sod, both some of the major expenditures for
a National. Another recommendation was to reduce the size of the board, which
was also done, and will save many more dollars over the next several years.
There were several other recommendations, i.e. expenditure for the election
process and the membership budget, I believe that there has been reduction in
that as well. It was also recommended to have better internal auditing
practices and apply dual controls where applicable.  That was an aspect where I
was involved with on a personal level.  For the first time ever I worked the
Parent Club Products table.  Every single item that was sold was run through
the cash register that was programmed for each item sold, much like at a fast
food restaurant where each button is programmed for each individual item.  SO,
we had to balance at the end of the day.  I believe that was the first year
this new procedure was implemented, so instead of just entering in an amount of
cash/check or credit card received, everything was entered by the item being
sold.  At the end of each day, a final "Z" tape was run, and the cash, credit
card and check totals were then balanced by two people.  I come from a banking
background so I along with the new Treasurer Larry Rock decided that there
would always be two people handling the final count and balancing for that day.
 After the entire week, we balanced within $20 or there about.  In the
beginning we had some issues with the I-Pads being used for the Credit Card
Sales, but to make a long story short, we had a final tally to balance to by
the end of the day, which is the way business should be done. The same
procedure was applied at the Parent Club Table that sold the Catalogs, Red
Books and Dinner Tickets etc., each item was processed through the register and
at the end of the day, all monies received were balanced to the tape.  I know
for a fact that QB will be used by the new Treasurer, and it's a really good
program.  I use it every day at the company that I work for, we do about ten
million dollars in gross annual sales, everything is processed through QB and I
do all the entering for that.  As some others have mentioned, it is very easy
and user friendly, I have not used the 501C version but am sure that Larry will
have it down pat pretty quickly.   As has been mentioned in prior posts, the
board does have a fiscal responsibility to the club, as well as needs to run
the club as a business, and from that standpoint has had to make some
"unpopular" decisions, which results in dammed if they do, and dammed if they
don't. Hopefully the GSDCA will see financial gains over the next few years,
Chris Chris S. KimererHillside-Tanbark Kennels                "where good
bloodlines never die"