[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Trans-cervical insemination

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Lealynn@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:13:34 -0700

Our Repro Vets won't do a transcervical insemination anymore.
I.C.S.B. and C.B.C.  people ( who are both also Bull Dog Breeders )  that we
work
with do not recommend it for this Breed.
It appears that it has a HIGH success rate in other Breeds but not GSD's.
Vet's will give you high percentage success rates....but when you ask them
about the success rate on GSD's it is not  good.    I have no idea
why........I'm just giving
input on our experience.
For those of you that have had good luck with it.........great.....but our
experience leads us to do implants only......or just an A.I.
We have not had an Implant miss except one time and we KNEW we were
doing it two or three days late because of the Holiday weekend.
Same with the use of our own studs.   Implants about 100% successful.   The
transcervical......hit and miss.    We always recommend they do an implant if
their Vet
will listen.
I just walked someone in another Country through doing an A.I. himself with
fresh chilled semen
shipped in because there are no Repro Vets in his area.   He didn't even use
the Extender.
The bitch just whelped 6 puppies.    We would do an A.I. before a transcervical
as would our
'Repro people'. .........but always preferably an implant.
I agree completely with Liz as per our experiences.

The best way to solve problems with cysts is to get the bich PREGNANT!   Then
breed
her back to back the next season also.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  looks  much better than doing an implant,

  Ed, I've done several of each type, and I personally like the implant
  better because you get to actually SEE the uterus to make sure it's healthy
  with no cysts.  If there are cysts, you can take care of that then.

  I've also had misses with Transcervicals on proven bitches, but never a
  miss on a proven bitch with an implant.  Some dogs' semen seem to ship
better
  than others and I don't want to take a chance.

  I feel (right or wrong) that inserting something from the exterior  that
  high into the vaginal tract, might introduce bacteria that I don't want up
  there.  We had a pyo on a proven bitch after one procedure done by an
  assistant just learning.  Now would she have gotten it anyway? Maybe...but
maybe
  not.

  And the number 1 reason I like implants better.... If you do an  implant
  you are guaranteed that the vet will do the insemination rather than  pushing
  it off on some assistant.  It's not that much more $$ but you get  more bang
  for your buck and I feel the success rate is better.

  Liz
  _www.lealynn.com_ (http://www.lealynn.com/)