[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Trackiing at the National

  • From: "rowlandgsd" <rowlandgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <LEWIEB@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:19:38 -0500

Hi Lew,
I for one would attend in a heartbeat.  In fact I was seriously trying to
figure out a way to lay track for this years test until I had to
unexpectedly cancel all plans to attend.  I trained with John and he is one
of the most knowledgable trackers out there.  He will teach you more about
scent and how dogs read it than a million books.  He also loves to talk!  So
his seminars are great, cover all aspects of tracking, the history of
tracking, his knowledge, etc.  It also helps that he loves shepherds....  I
had the honor of learning VST under John and hosting through our club the
first VST seminar and test many years ago.... Darlene (Ceretto then) tried
and almost made it with her beloved shepherd Annie, but passed the next test
in Illinois to become the first VST and Ch tracker.  He championed this new
test with AKC and pushed it through almost singlehandedly, many still do not
believe dogs can scent on variable terraine.  Ask John to do the smoke demo
in the field... that will get him going! PS I am unaware that John had a
working gsd to earn the CT... but if so, congratulations are in order.
PPS I agree there is no "rush" like trusting your dog and finding that
article at the end, the bond you develop with your dog is unmatched IMO.
Best,

Betsy
ROWLAND
Maryland
and forever in my heart Reid's Maxim CD TD