[ SHOWGSD-L ] Topline GSDC June Show Update

  • From: Jennifer or John Stark <jstarkgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 00:06:36 -0500

I've been off The List for months, so forgive me for not having a
clue as to what the latest happenings are....

In regard to the Topline Specialty show scheduled for Saturday June
14 - the day before the MW Futurity/Maturity, there have been some
inquiries as to what is happening.  Here's what has been going on -

The GSDC of WI - who is hosting the MW Futurity/Maturity - invited
Topline to hold our specialty show at their grounds on Saturday, June
14, the day before the MW Futurity/Maturity.  This would be a win-win
situation for all - a preliminary search of conflicting AKC shows
turned up nothing within 200 miles of the Big Bend, WI show site so a
request to change our show location from Union, Il to Big Bend, WI
was sent to the AKC.
Turns out, the AKC says NO because the Grand Traverse (Michigan) All
Breed show is on that date, and although it's 400+ driving miles,
apparently everyone would swim their dogs across Lake Michigan making
it only 186 miles away and therefore infringing upon their show
territory.
At this point I turned to Dr. Carmen Battaglia as our AKC rep for
help,  and he did quite a bit to explain our situation to AKC Event
Operations and help get the situation resolved - especially the part
about trying to reason with the AKC that using "air miles" to
determine the 200 mile radius in this part of the country (due to the
large lake areas) is not really a true measure of traveling distance.

So, more & more phone calls, and at first, when speaking with the
President of Grand Traverse KC - Mr Kevin Nieboer, he agreed to
release GSDs for that Saturday so we could hold our Specialty show at
the WI Club grounds.  The AKC was contacted and what they requested
to happen for approval was explained and wheels were set in motion,
especially since time was of the essence.
All of a sudden the President of Grand Traverse decided that it
wasn't in his club's best interest to release GSDs and that's where
it stands now.
(Their GSD entry for 2007 was 0; their GSD entry for 2006 was 3.)

Topline still hopes to get the Specialty Show approved for that
Saturday, but it hinges on finding an available, alternate show
location.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding our show -
I'll post any updates to The List.

Jennifer Stark
TOPLINE Show Secretary