[ SHOWGSD-L ] Thunderstorms & German Shepherds

  • From: cheradongsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:33:26 -0500

Well,
Our odd weather is playing havoc with my sleep.? Last night I was awaken by my
Callie who sleeps in the bedroom with me at this time cause her puppies are
still in the whelping box and it is at the foot of my bed.? Callie woke me up
by jumping on the bed and was laying there a bit nervous and panting.? I
checked the alarm clock thinking it must be time to get up and it was only 1:30
am.? Not fully awake, I checked Callie to see if she was ok.?She was.? I went
back to bed.? She lay there still being nervous until since I couldnt get back
to sleep, I thought maybe I should get up and check the rest of the house and
all the dogs and make sure everything was ok.? I did.? It was.? The rest of the
dogs were fine--no problems.? I went back to bed trying to figure out what was
the problem, trying to get back to sleep--then I heard the reason for Callie's
problem--THUNDER.? The only thing in the whole world Callie is afraid of.? She
has the soundest temperment and loves everyone and i
 s the greatest ambassador of the breed--until it starts to thunder.?
I talked to her and let her snuggle and finally got to sleep (after about 45
min) but now at work--I sure am tired and sleepy.
How many of you have GSD who are afraid of thunder and lightning??? Why??? None
of my other dogs are bothered? by it--unless it is unusually loud or a really
violent storm.?
I myself like to watch lightning and listen to the booom of the thunder-I think
it is exciting to see the raw power and beauty of the storm (as long as it
dosent damage anything of course).? Why should dogs be afraid of it?? It is a
natural occurance.
Had an old boyfriend years ago with a white GSD who would literally tear the
house apart during a thundersotrm. Gee.? Is crazy.
Cheri Hunt----Cheradon Shepherds
Home of Ch. Cheradon AchtungErynbrook Molokai, TC, OFA H&E, PA,TH,CA, Eyes
Cert. and Certificate of Health Merit Excellent from the GSDCA (aka Ch. Mikey)
Ch. Mikey
and his sister, Cameo --see her here: Cameo's site

?

http://webmail.aol.com