[ SHOWGSD-L ] Them bones, them bones, them dry bones....

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:36:28 -0400

So Amber and I didn't go to her All-Breed handling classes these last 3
weeks because she was in season, (no sense in driving all those
"different" breed boys crazy for nothing)........plus the trainer went
to her Bernese Mountain Dog National so they didn't have classes.   Get
this, she told me they had over 900 entries.  Her bitch won the 12-18
bitch class with 68 entries.  Wow..........we don't even see that many
dogs entered at our local specialties anymore!  Anyway...........about
these bones..............
A month and a half ago, the AKC judge that instructs our handling class,
kinda, sorta embarrassed me when he said Amber was looking a little too
thin.  So I think, great, poor thing, I'm starving my girl.  So I
increase her food just a bit knowing I'm taking her to the show grounds
to be evaluted, and I just know before I even get there what I'm going
to be told.  Take the weight off of her!  Okay then, so I decrease the
amount of food I give her and increase the exercise up on "that
mountain" I told you about.  So handling class is coming up again next
week and I'm looking at her and I'm saying "here we go again, the judge
is going to run his hands over her and say, "a little thin, don't you
think Barbara"?  Then I'm going to try to explain to him again, about
the GSD Specialty ring and how they like them thin, "yada, yada, yada".
Well the reason for this post (I know get to it already), is that alot
of the dogs I see show win pictures of at specialty shows, their ribs
are really pronounced in those photos  .  On the other hand, the
pictures I see of dogs winning at the All-Breed shows, they are usually
a little more "beefed" up.  I know we don't want them to be rolling over
their backs when they're moving.  My girl is licking her bowl clean, as
if she's saying to me "nice appertizer, now where's my meal"?
So how thin is too thin?  Some dogs look like the waifs I see on the
runways at fashion shows.  I don't want a fashionably correct dog, I
want a healthy winning dog.  Feedback, input, suggestions, comments
always appreciated..............Barbara Galasso