[ SHOWGSD-L ] Forward: Letter to breed ban enthusiasts

  • From: Marie Fisher <mzfishr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:10:19 -0700 (PDT)

Original Message:
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 05:07:21 -0700 (PDT)
   From: reagan bailey <ruffian0000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Letter to breed ban enthusiasts
Subject: Great Letter to Breed Ban Enthusiasts
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:49:31 -0400

LOOK AT THIS LETTER!

We have permission to crosspost any time, AS LONG
AS it is sent "as is" and the author, Rob MacBean
from Canada, is acknowledged.

AN APOLOGY TO BREED BAN ENTHUSIASTS

I'm sorry you are frightened of my dogs and are
trying to have them killed because they are
pitbulls.

I'm sorry you lack the understanding of this
breed's true history, gentleness with people,
wonderful temperament, intelligence and
behavioral conformation. I'm sorry you won't read
the ATTS stats
regarding our breed's true temperament, putting
it in the top four
for temperament, scoring better than breeds like
Golden Retrievers,
and cocker spaniels.

I'm sorry that you side with and protect animal
abusers by marking
the breed of dog, and not the irresponsibility of
the owner. I'm
sorry that by your logic I could steal a car, run
some people over
with it and then you can blame the make of car
for the accident, as I
walk free.

I'm sorry you generalize one breed of dog with
one group of people.
I'm sorry you can't see the love and
determination that many often
highly educated, non-criminal and "normal" types
of people show
towards this breed and the great personal
sacrifices that they make
to take care of their dog responsibly.

I'm sorry you cannot go into the shelters and see
the hundreds of
abandoned and abused pitbulls, dying only for the
inane "crime" of
being born the breed they are. I'm sorry you
cannot see the look of
disappointment in their eyes as someone walks by
their kennel, and
refuses to consider adopting them based on an ill
educated fear
mongering reporter. I'm sorry that you cannot be
there when the
animal looks at a human for the last time, and in
spite of betrayed
by all humans they have met, their tail still
wags as someone
approaches with the syringe of Euthinol.

I'm sorry cannot be there when law enforcement
shoots one of your
dogs dead inside it's own home in front of the
children it mutually
loves for simply getting off the dog bed and
walking over to say
hello with it's tail wagging. I'm sorry you
cannot be there to rescue
pitbull puppies from a plastic bag in a dumpster,
dumped there by
someone switching their illegal, and inhumane
activities to another,
more lucrative breed.

I'm sorry you cannot understand the difference
between canine and
human aggression, in the way that this breed can.
Yes, I'm saying my
pitbull is smarter then you.

I'm sorry that the medieval witchhunting genetics
of intolerance,
generalization, and racism make you feel the need
to vilify a breed
of dog. I'm sorry that justice, equality,
tolerance, common sense are
all things you hold dear as a fellow Canadian,
and expect from
others, but do not yourself offer them towards a
pitbull or its
caregiver. I'm sorry that you don't take the
constructive time to
petition changes in the Canadian animal cruelty
act, and in the
criminal code that would deal out serious
punishment to the real
animal abusers.

I'm sorry you cannot see the disappointed look on
a puppy's face when
the people petting it quickly frown, and walk
away when you tell them
it is a pitbull. I'm sorry you feel the need to
terrorize my family
and my dogs for crimes we never have and never
will commit. I'm sorry
you don't have to live in fear of your dog's
safety from hysterical,
and mentally unstable people trying to inflict
all manner of evil
upon your dogs.

I'm sorry that you cannot see my breed working in
some of the best
Search and Rescue groups in the world, saving
countless lives each
year. I'm sorry our media censors and refuses to
print the breed
name "pitbull' when in connection with a positive
act such as saving
a person or child from a burning house, drowning,
wild attacking
animals, etc. I'm sorry you cannot see the many
pitbulls registered
as therapy dogs and bringing so much joy to
another misunderstood,
neglected demographic in our society, the senior
citizen.

I am sorry you can't see a pitbull kiss a child,
step carefully over
a kitten, or play in a sunbeam. I'm sorry you
cannot wake in the
morning to feel a warm pitbull cuddled next to
you in bed, and know
that you are their total world, and even if the
house caught fire and
trapped you, they would stay with you to the end.
But, now that I really think about it, I'm not at
all sorry you don't
own a pitbull--you do not deserve one.

Rob MacBean
The Mongrel Hordes
Lake Cowichan BC
(Permission granted by me the author to crosspost
as long as it stays
intact, and with my name on it.)