[ SHOWGSD-L ] The biggest problem is......We don't get to decide

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 19:48:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/09 2:57:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
What is  the biggest problem with AKC conformation shows?.

Why would there be a problem?  No one has to attend. No one needs to
attend.  No one is asked to attend.

We choose to play in their game. They set a series of rules, and we agree
to be bound by them. We don't own the company, we don't get to make the
rules,  and with a few exceptions, they don't have to listen to us.  And, often

don't.

Why some people think that they can force the AKC to listen to them, and
change to what they want, is something I never understood. In a perfect
world,  we could all make up our own rules, and then force everyone else to
abide
by  them.  It would work for me.

There are changes I would love to see in the AKC shows, but getting rid of
majors isn't one of them.

 I would love to see renewable licenses to judge, limitations on how  many
complaints a judge can get before they are re-tested, shows spread out
more, so we don't go five weekends in a row.  I would like more money paid  to
the winners, bigger trophies, free pictures, and free beer at every show.
Strippers instead of stewards, would perk up my interest.  I would like to
see older folks given a smaller ring inside the larger one, so we could still
show our dogs. I would love it if every show were set within a mile of my
home,  and they all ended by noon with a complimentary lunch after the show.
The AKC  should be there to set up my tent, provide electricity to that tent
for my  lap-top, and e-mail me the catalog so I could post it.  Free gas to
get  there would be nice, and perhaps a fan or heater for each tent,
depending on the  show.

There is plenty of room for improvement, and when I own my own dog show
registry, I will try to impliment those changes.  Maybe not the strippers,
but who knows?

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/