[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Tragical Loss of Bloodlines & Mentoring

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 11:49:42 -0400 (EDT)

For years I have said that each year we breed to improve the breed.   None
of us, (well maybe other than Flowerboy) has bred to have lousy dogs. We
try each time we do a breeding to make the offspring better than the  parents.

It seems it is working. When you go to the National, in Specials are not no
 longer two or three great dogs, but ten or more.  That is how it should
be.  If we do this right, eventually every dog shown should be Select quality.
  Will we get there, I doubt it.

But, we have so many more tools than in the past. We can x-ray for hips.
Now we x-ray for elbows. We have now a DM test that may or may not turn out
to  be accurate. We have e-mail so we can instantly find out what a dog is
producing.  We have improved our Standard to put temperament as the first
issue. We have instituted the Loose Lead Test for every show.

With the passage of time we gain knowledge, we gain information, we gain
additional tools to help us improve the breed.  In most cases it is  working.

We can choose to think that in the past the Myans had some knowledge about
the end of the world. Or that in China 2,000 years ago, they knew more
about  medicine than we do today, and so we should use those remedies.  Or,
that
 in ancient times, since we had to hunt our food, and didn't have fire, we
are  raw.

I would rather believe with penicillin, Gilligan Island re-runs, fluid
brake systems, and polyester, we are better off today.  We know more about  our
breed, we have additional tools to improve it, and we continue to  progress.

Or maybe the world will end in December of 2012.  We have to wait to  see.

And, is "tragical" a word?

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and  Temperament come  together

In a message dated 5/1/12 9:48:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Do the  people of the past know less than those who are breeding winning
dogs today?  In many cases I would agree, but in many cases I think we have
far greater  knowledge in many areas as time moves forward. Knowledge is not a
static  thing, but is cumulative - the more we have from the past, the more
we can add  in the present and the greater the body of knowledge available
in the future.  Of course, the accumulation of ignorance and stupidity may
stick with us also,  so what do I know? They both have roots in the past and
exist in the  present.