[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Sack Lunches

  • From: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 18:14:29 EDT

I do not know if this is a true story; but it was sent to me and  I
appreciated it; maybe it would be something others might want to read; or  read
again if you have already seen this.  To make this dog related: GSDs  are
soldiers too.

Pauline Moon  - _www.ropajagsd.com_ (http://www.ropajagsd.com/)
Ropaja German  Shepherds: Member: GSDCAmercia & GSDCAtlanta

The Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment  and sat down in my assigned
seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I  have a good book to
read, perhaps I will get a short nap,' I  thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and  filled
all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a
conversation.

'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest  to me.
'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then  we're
being
deployed to Afghanistan .'

After flying for about an hour, an  announcement was made that sack lunches
were available for five dollars. It  would be several hours before we
reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch  would help pass the time..

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard  soldier ask his buddy if he
planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of  money for just a sack
lunch.
Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait  till we get to base.'

His friend agreed.

I looked around at  the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to
the back of the plane  and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill.
'Take a lunch to all those  soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed
tightly. Her eyes wet with tears,  she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in
Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing  it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the  soldiers were
seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best  - beef or
chicken?' 'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned  and
went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate  from
first class. 'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went  again to the back of the plane, heading
for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I  saw what you did. I want to be part
of it. Here, take this.' He handed me  twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down  the
aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not
looking  for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of
the
plane.  When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand, an
said, 'I want to  shake your hand.'

Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the  Captain's hand. With
a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a  military pilot. Once,
someone bought me a lunch.. It was an act of kindness I  never forgot.' I
was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the  passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch  my legs. A man
who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his  hand, wanting
to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my  palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane.  Waiting
just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in  my
shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word.
Another  twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers  gathering for their trip to
the base. I walked over to them and handed them  seventy-five dollars. 'It
will take you some time to reach the base. It will be  about time for a
sandwich. God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight  feeling the love and respect of their
fellow travelers. As I walked briskly to  my car, I whispered a prayer for
their
safe return. These soldiers were giving  their all for our country. I could
only give them a couple of meals.

It seemed so little...A veteran is someone who, at one point in his  life,
wrote a blank check made payable to ' THE US OF A ' for an  amount of 'up to
and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no
longer understand it.'

~Freedom Isn't Free!    Somebody  Paid~

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=