[ SHOWGSD-L ] The New GSDCA Illustrated Standard

  • From: "William Gish" <gsd001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: board@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 9:21:0 -0400

Board Members:  Please carefully consider the following comments before you
vote to approve the current version of the NIS.  Non-Board Members - DO THE
SAME, PLEASE!    I am very disappointed in much of the NIS which I
downloadedfrom the PC Site.  I do not think it should be so long, and I do
not think it should detail so many. many faults.  In addition, I feel that
the emphasis is on promoting the generic GSD, not on the elite, and I am
afraid that many of the examples will lead the less expert among our judges
to 'FAULT JUDGE' rather than strive to find and promote the best overall dog
- this, of course, assumes that they have read and studied the NIS, rather
than consigning it to the waste basket; which happens many times when
illustrated standards are received that seem too long and difficult  (I know
this for a fact, for I have done it myself!).  PLEASE do not feel that I am
deliberately disparaging the NIS - It is a very creditable piece of work,
which has involved many, many hours of labor on the part of the committee.
Ifeel that it is emphasizing the wrong concept!&nb! sp; For a standar d to
domost to influence judges to pick the proper dog, we should be showing them
the BEST, not a generic.  We should show our closest concept of perfection,
with the caveat that any deviation should be faulted to the degree that it
detracts from appearance/performance.  We have had enough experience with
less than elite dogs garnering great accolades over the past few years to
divert the All Breed Judges (and many less experienced Specialty Judges)
fromgiving due consideration to the ELITE dogs.  This is especially
demonstrated by the example of the 'excessively angulated' dog posed on page
32 - this is the picture of a dog which me and most of my 'ilk' would die
for, and I would hate to have to experience seeing such a dog placed behind
adog similar to the 'generic' example!  I recommend we separate out the
wheatfrom the chaff and prepare an illustrated standard showing what we WANT
in our dogs.  This could and should be sent to ! all judges.&n  bsp; The
other excellent sections of the present NIS should be disseminated through
our GSD Review for study and application by our breeders and other members -
and, of course made available on an 'on demand' basis to judges which are
sufficiently interested in the breed.   --- William Gish ---
gsd001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[1] --- EarthLink: The #1 provider of the Real Internet.

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:gsd001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx