[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The New GSDCA Illustrated Standard

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "William Gish" <gsd001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, board@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:07:34 -0700

This is a very good post, IMO. Bill Gish hit the nail right on the head
when he suggested that we should look for the Elite GS (thus GV) rather
than the generic, otherwise we end up with just mediocre dogs chosen by
judges who feel they do the right thing going by the standard.
Thinking of all the posts before me - and those which will be in the making
- it makes me wonder if we really will make a difference in persuading the
Board one way or the other. Are we wasting our time?
Lee

showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 8/23/2005 6:21:20 AM
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] The New GSDCA Illustrated Standard
>

> Board Members:  Please carefully consider the following comments before
you
> vote to approve the current version of the NIS.  Non-Board Members - DO
THE
> SAME, PLEASE!    I am very disappointed in much of the NIS which I
> downloadedfrom the PC Site.  I do not think it should be so long, and I do
> not think it should detail so many. many faults.  In addition, I feel that
> the emphasis is on promoting the generic GSD, not on the elite, and I am
> afraid that many of the examples will lead the less expert among our
judges
> to 'FAULT JUDGE' rather than strive to find and promote the best overall
dog
> - this, of course, assumes that they have read and studied the NIS, rather
> than consigning it to the waste basket; which happens many times when
> illustrated standards are received that seem too long and difficult  (I
know
> this for a fact, for I have done it myself!).  PLEASE do not feel that I
am
> deliberately disparaging the NIS - It is a very creditable piece of work,
> which has involved many, many hours of labor on the part of the
committee.
> Ifeel that it is emphasizing the wrong concept!&nb! sp; For a standar d to
> domost to influence judges to pick the proper dog, we should be showing
them
> the BEST, not a generic.  We should show our closest concept of
perfection,
> with the caveat that any deviation should be faulted to the degree that it
> detracts from appearance/performance.  We have had enough experience with
> less than elite dogs garnering great accolades over the past few years to
> divert the All Breed Judges (and many less experienced Specialty Judges)
> fromgiving due consideration to the ELITE dogs.  This is especially
> demonstrated by the example of the 'excessively angulated' dog posed on
page
> 32 - this is the picture of a dog which me and most of my 'ilk' would die
> for, and I would hate to have to experience seeing such a dog placed
behind
> adog similar to the 'generic' example!  I recommend we separate out the
> wheatfrom the chaff and prepare an illustrated standard showing what we
WANT
> in our dogs.  This could and should be sent to ! all judges.&n  bsp; The
> other excellent sections of the present NIS should be disseminated through
> our GSD Review for study and application by our breeders and other
members -
> and, of course made available on an 'on demand' basis to judges which are
> sufficiently interested in the breed.   --- William Gish ---
> gsd001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[1] --- EarthLink: The #1 provider of the Real
Internet.