[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Judges' Standard becomes the new Standard

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:56:57 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 2/16/13 3:21:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
helenfranklin520@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Not long  ago, a well known judge said to me, " I know the dog is a mix
master in the  rear, but he was the only dog with a front!  I just
loved his extreme  front reach and I just can't put up a dog that doesn't
move."    So my dear judge you will judge the front half of the
dog, rewarding the  front half of the dog only, and forgive the very serious
fault in the  rear.
Quite a while ago, I had seen a great looking dog, that was very sloppy in
the rear. I told the owner I liked his dog, but to never show it under me.
I  could never put up a dog that loose.

I then judged an all-breed show, and in the Open class was a great looking
male in all ways, except the rear action was not perfectly clean. The other
 entries were lacking in side gate, and front.  So, there I was, to decide
which fault in movement was worse.  A rear less than perfect, or five other
 dogs that had no fronts, no suspension, and lacked the ability to move as
the  standard called for.

They are all faults in movement.

I put up the dog that I said I never would.  Not because I ignored the
rear, but because the rear fault was no less important than the lack of side
gait on the other dogs.  A dog not clean coming or going is easier to see,
but no less important than overall movement.

It is not easy to know where to put your emphasis, but I try to look at the
 total dog. It is easy to see a loose rear, or a front less than perfect.
But, we  should remember that faults in movement include faults in side gait.
It may be  harder to see, but should be recognized and faulted.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together