[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Good old days on the list

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ELG440@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 20:00:37 -0400 (EDT)

I may  not be a GSDCA member anymore,

It always amazes me who complains, and who does not. It seems more and
more, those who do not show, or who do not breed, spend a lot of energy
complaining about those activities. I am not sure why they even waste the
energy
to do that.

Years ago, I was talking to John DeHope. He and I were great friends and he
 often would call me late at night.

He wanted to complain about how too many dogs were going Select.

I told him the people who went Select didn't think it was too many, and
those who missed the cut didn't think it was too many, so only those who
didn't  show felt too many were being awarded the title.

Then he complained about how  small the entries were and how easy it  was
to win. I told him that instead of showing against 20 dogs in a class, with
14 who would never get points, we now have five, all of who will probably
finish. It was about the same number of dogs finishing each month as it was
ten  years ago.  It was no easier to finish a dog today, than it ever was.

He preceded to tell me that it was too easy to get majors. I told him it
was not that easy, and that I try hard to find majors, and when I find them,
often someone else wins.

He was silent for a minute, then said:  "Evan, you know what the  trouble
with you is?  You just want everyone to have fun."

I thought about that, and I often think about John as well.  If we  aren't
having fun, why are we doing this?  If you don't want to do this,  just
don't. Why would you aggravate yourself complaining about those  involved?

We aren't going to change the world, we aren't going to improve the health
of the aged, we aren't going to rid the world of hunger by showing dogs.

If you aren't enjoying this, move on.

I love showing dogs, and I can't imagine what would change that for  me.
Maybe as I get older, (hard to believe), I too will give up the sport,  and
then spend time complaining about it.

Years ago I gave up judo. But, you don't hear me bitching about the sport.
Although, my knee is giving me a lot of pain lately.

Evan

http://showgsd.org/mail.html