[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Texas Action Alert! BSL Threat

  • From: SCHARO1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:43:07 EST

In a message dated 1/22/2005 6:35:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rpoa@xxxxxxxxx writes:
From  Responsible Pet Owners Alliance,
the reasonable voice regarding animal  issues.
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance is an animal welfare  organization,
not "animal rights" and, yes, there is a  difference.
Permission is granted to crosspost with
credit given to the  TX-RPOA List.

*************************************
Representative  Al Edwards is considering filling legislation during the 79th
Legislative  Session (which just convened) to exempt the city of Houston from
the  current state law which prohibits Breed Specific Legislation.  He  told
RPOA he doesn't want to repeal the state law.  However no bill  has been
filed to date so anything can happen.

Please contact Rep.  Edwards to OPPOSE changing our existing state law and to
OPPOSE passing  Breed Specific Legislation in all Texas cities.

Representative Al  Edwards
Capitol Building
Box 2910
Austin, TX  78768-2910
al.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:  (512)  463-0518
Fax:  (512) 463-5896

Let us know of any feedback you  receive from the legislator.  RPOA's letter
to Representative Al  Edwards is below:

January 10, 2005

The Honorable Al  Edwards
Texas House of Representatives
Capitol Building
PO Box  2910
Austin, TX  78768-2910

Re:  Opposition to Breed  Specific Legislation in Texas

Dear Representative Edwards:
Thank you  for returning my call during the Christmas holidays regarding your
plan to  introduce Breed Specific Legislation during the 2005  Legislative
Session.  You expressed your concerns about dangerous dogs  in Houston, so I
am enclosing a copy of the San Antonio Dangerous Animal  Ordinance as I
promised you at that time.  The San Antonio ordinance  is one of the best in
the country.  It targets all dangerous animals  and does not discriminate by
dog breed.

The Responsible Pet Owners  Alliance is an American Kennel Club (AKC)
Federation for the state of  Texas, which has expanded to include all-species
pet clubs and concerned  pet owners statewide.  AKC wrote you a letter also
saying that â??Deeds,  not breeds, should determine whether a dog is
dangerous.â??  We concur  with their statement as no breed is inherently
vicious.  Our  organization urges you to reconsider changing our current
state law  prohibiting breed-specific legislation in Texas cities or
exempting the  city of Houston from the state law.

By passing Breed Specific  Legislation, the door is open for all manner of
litigation as many maligned  breeds are certified therapy dogs, assistance
dogs, participants in  American Kennel Club, United Kennel, and Agility Club
events.  Many  more are wonderful family pets.

In 1987 the city of Richardson, Texas,  passed a breed-specific law naming
American Staffordshire Terriers,  American Pit Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers,
and Staffordshire Bull Terriers  (or anything with the appearance thereof).
This resulted in litigation  which was appealed all the way to the Texas
Supreme Court.  The  courtâ??s ruling made enforcement of vicious dog
ordinances risky and  uncertain in Texas.  Therefore a coalition was formed
between the  animal control people in the state and a newly formed dog group
to seek  passage of a state law which would give cities the right to pass
general  dangerous dog ordinances but prohibited breed-specific ordinances.
The  state law was passed on June 16, 1991 and Richardson repealed  the
breed-specific provisions in their ordinance.

Breed Specific  Legislation will not eliminate dog bites nor attacks in the
Houston area  and excludes dogs that are currently in your community and
proven dangerous  by their exhibited behavior and bite histories.  It is
unenforceable  as accurate breed identification can only be reliable with  DNA
profiling.  The Rottweiler and pit bulls that attacked Fannie  Pearl Pharms
were already in violation of the Leash Law and were in a  neighborhood with
the highest number of loose dogs.  Strict  enforcement of the Leash Law would
be much more effective.

A  resident of Cotter, AK, recently contacted us and asked for our advice.
He  has been harassed twice by animal control officers and threatened with  a
$500 fine because he owns a White Boxer and AKC Bulldog.  The city  has an
ordinance banning â??Pit Bull Terriers.â??  Breed misidentification  is common
among animal control personnel and sometimes even   veterinarians.

Legislation should target irresponsible pet owners, not  those who are
responsible.  Breed Specific Legislation is opposed by  the American
Veterinary Medical Association, Humane Society of the United  States,
American Kennel Club, American Dog Owners Association, National  Animal
Interest Alliance, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to  Animals
(ASPCA),United Kennel Club, and other national  organizations.

I am also enclosing a letter written by the president of  the American
Temperament Test Society, Inc. (ATTS) which states that the  rate of passing
for the â??Pit Bull Breedsâ?? is slightly better than the  national average for
all breeds tested.  He further states ATTS has  tested over 190 different
breeds.  Unfortunately the media is not  interested in good dogs for their
news stories as they donâ??t increase  ratings.

As I told you during our telephone conversation, I own a  spayed female
Staffordshire Bull Terrier named â??Halle,â?? who is the love of  my life.  She
is black and beautiful -- named after the movie actress  Halle Berry.  She is
training for AKC obedience work and is my  constant companion.  It is
inconceivable that she should be punished  for what some dog does in another
city.  Should you need more  information, please donâ??t hesitate to contact
me.
Sincerely,

Mary  Beth Duerler
Executive Director

Enclosures:
San Antonio Dangerous  Animal Ordinance
American Temperament Test Society, Inc. Letter
American  Kennel Club Letter of Opposition

To share information, subscribe or  unsubscribe,
please send an e-mail message to  rpoa@xxxxxxxxxx

Responsible Pet Owners Alliance
900 NE Loop  410  #205-D
San Antonio, TX  78209