[ SHOWGSD-L ] Temperment in our GSD's

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:08:55 -0800 (PST)

What concerns me is that the DOGS are taking the hit for the mistakes WE as
breeders are making! If you own a dog whose temperment is sketchy, has flawless
sidegait, perfect shoulder, is drop dead gorgeous, YOU ALTER IT and KEEP it or
you put it down! In this atmosphere of BSL and problems with home owners
insurance, we do NOT need GSD's who are lethal weapons waiting to go off simply
because they are superstars in the show ring! I dont know about everyone else,
but of the two litters I have bred so far, only 2 puppies went to somewhat
experienced potential show homes. The rest went to quality pet homes; some with
small children and other animals. If these dogs had less than a stable
temperment, what would I potentially be subjecting people to?? Personally, I
like a GSD with an outgoing and friendly temperment who loves everyone. I know
according to the standard it may not be "correct" but we are living in a
society and for the most part, these dogs are NOT out herding
 sheep on the plains but interacting with all sorts of people...young and
old....other animals and new situations.  If I had any question about their
temperment, no matter what their show ring successes, they would NOT be bred.
Dawn Restuccia

always stay connected to friends.