[ SHOWGSD-L ] TOPLINE

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:22:44 -0800 (PST)

      Nowhere in our standard is BACKLINE mentioned.  That said, let's
  speak of the entire TOPLINE, which starts at the occiput and flows
  smoothly through the croup.  The comments have not included the
  junction of the neck and wither, which should flow with absolutely no
  break into the back, loin, and croup.  BTW, the back consists of only five
  vertebrea where the spines change direction.  Placing the hand just at
  the top of the neck and running it down the neck, there should be no
  stop or angle at all where the neck joins the wither.  This is true in
  almost any breed unless that breed calls for a ewe neck. This is where
  I see many of our dogs failing.  It can be "groomed out" so that it is
  not visually apparent, but the hand does not miss that abrupt stop at
  the end of the neck.  What say you, Peggy ?
                                     Carolyn