[ SHOWGSD-L ] THE letter being sent to THOUSANDS of Californians and elsewhere this A.M.

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:35:29 EST

Please Forward Widely
Listers, some of you have already received this letter.   It is from the
group which I've been part of since I left CalFed.   The group consists of some
of
the best and the brightest in Dog and Cat World in California.   (I don't
even know how they let me in, but I'm grateful).   Within a very few days after
L.A. City passed that draconian unconstitutional ordinance, phone calls were
made, WAY too many emails were passed around, and we are on our way.

This ordinance MUST be stopped to STOP the rest of the nation from falling in
line, as they already have begun.

The website will be more complete within a few days.   From start to finish,
that remarkable woman put up the beginnings in less than a day.   There will
be contacts, more information regarding the group and updates on the law suit.

There are more great projects coming from this group, watch for them!

Thanks for listening....now I think I'll take a nap.

Stormy
P.S.   I sent the letter earlier to this list, but forgot about no
attachments.   :-(

CALIFORNIA
RESPONSIBLE

                         Preserving our
PET

                                  Constitutional
OWNERS'

                           Rights
COALITION

February 2008

Dear Pet Owner:

Weâ??re at war! Itâ??s a war we didnâ??t want, but the City of Los Angeles has
declared war on us, on our right to own and care for our pets, and our right to
responsibly breed them and make appropriate healthcare decisions for them
without intrusive government intervention.

On February 12, 2008, the City of Los Angeles passed a compulsory
sterilization ordinance. We must not let the Humane Society of the United
States (HSUS),
animal rights lobbyist Judie Mancuso, termed-out Assemblyman Lloyd Levine
(author of the awful AB 1634), LA Animal Servicesâ?? Director Ed Boks, and
other
animal rights extremists go unchallenged in the second largest city in the
United
States. If we fail to stop this terrible law here, it could spread to every
city and county in this country!

This law will do nothing to curb â??pet overpopulationâ?? or encourage
responsible pet ownership. It will do nothing to reduce stray dogs or feral
cats. It
will squander millions of taxpayer dollars to wage war against already
responsible pet owners. It will adversely affect anyone who owns a dog or cat;
enters a
dog or cat in any show or performance event; or wants to responsibly breed a
dog or cat in Los Angeles.

The good news is that we can challenge this lawâ??s constitutionality.

Pet owners in Louisville, Kentucky are facing a similar law and are in
federal court contesting that cityâ??s ability to interfere with the rights of
responsible pet owners. A coalition of Louisville kennel clubs and responsible
pet-owner groups is funding a lawsuit, which has a good chance of having that
cityâ??s
ordinance declared unconstitutional. Fighting the good fight doesnâ??t come
cheap; it has cost that coalition more than $100,000. To mount that kind of
battle here, against animal rights extremists and the politicians who enable
them,
will cost us at least that amount of money and probably considerably more.

CaRPOC (California Responsible Pet Ownersâ?? Coalition) is your family,
friends, and neighbors. We are the same group of outraged dog and cat owners
who
fought AB1634 last year. BUT THE FIGHT AGAINST THIS ORDINANCE IN LOS ANGELES IS
EVEN MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE FIGHT AGAINST AB 1634. Compulsory sterilization
ordinances are a lethal epidemic that could do what the extremists who wrote AB
1634 want most -- destroy the rights of responsible owners and breeders of dogs
and cats everywhere. To wage this fight, we need your support NOW!

We are fortunate to have been able to engage the international law firm of
Greenberg Traurig, LLP to represent us. Since its founding in 1982, the
Sacramento office of Greenberg Traurig has had more than 25 years experience
influencing government. During that time they have represented pharmaceutical
companies, consumer product manufacturers and other for profit and nonprofit
entities
in connection with animal legislation and regulation. Their experience goes far
beyond animal issues, including more than 25 years of holding government
accountable. They have successfully invalidated both statutes and regulations
when
government has overreached its authority or otherwise infringed on legally
protected rights.

This battle isnâ??t about purebreds or pedigrees, or even just about Los
Angeles -- itâ??s a battle for ALL of our pets EVERYWHERE â?? cats and dogs,
working,
performance, show, service, therapy, law enforcement, couch potatoes, mixed
breeds, purebreds and pedigrees.
To mount this challenge, good wishes, reasoned arguments and outraged letters
arenâ??t enough. We need money to battle this entrenched and well-funded enemy,
which is intent on destroying the rights of responsible pet owners
nationwide. We need to raise a minimum of $25,000 within the next 10 days to
begin this
fight. CaRPOC has asked Jack Bradshaw, whose family has been superintending
dog shows for well over a century in California and the Southwest, to oversee
the funds collected, lending our efforts an unexcelled reputation for fairness
and integrity.

Hereâ??s what you need to do immediately:

� Write a check made payable to:

CaRPOC

� Mail that check today to:
          CaRPOC

                              11301
W. Olympic Blvd. Suite #121-596

                              Los
Angeles, CA 90064

â?¢ Forward this letter to friends and fellow pet-lovers ASAP and ask them to
donate.

â?¢ Make copies and distribute this call to action at events, gatherings, club
meetings and in front of your local market. This affects every pet owner in
Los Angeles.

On behalf of the pets that we love and the future of pet-ownership in LA and
beyond, thank you in advance for joining with us and for your support now and
in the future.

California Responsible Pet Ownersâ?? Coalition/CaRPOC

For more information, visit: www.carpoc.org
or email:                      info@xxxxxxxxxx

CaRPOC     11301 Olympic Blvd Suite #121-596     Los Angeles, CA 90064

 .

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."

 Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)