[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sudden Death

  • From: "MARGERY GOLANT" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:18:15 -0400

For those who asked, following is a description of the Canine Health
Foundation Study.  In the situations that first prompted Salle to donate her
dogs, the affected animals were all young.  At one point she indicated the
researchers felt the condition was the canine equivalent of SIDS in humans:

Cornell University (University)
  Active Grant No: 276:
Microarray Analysis for Cardiac Gene Expression in German Shepherds with
Sudden Death
Disease(s): Heart Disease
Sponsor(s): American German Shepherd Dog Charitable Foundation
Researcher(s): N. Sydney Moise, DVM, MS
Breed(s): German Shepherd Dog
Abstract: Sudden death in dogs due to cardiac disease is common. Many of
these dogs die because of abnormal beats of the heart. Such diseases are
likely inherited in the dog. Breeds at risk for such a cardiac death include
the Doberman pincher, Boxer, Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound, Afgan hound,
Newfoundland and the German shepherd dog(GS). To discover the genetic
mutations that cause the diseases in each of these dogs will take many years
of work. Research to identify the means of marking abnormal genes will help
us to find the mutations. Even though the mutations will be different,
research in one breed will help other breeds as we can use the gained
information as we search the canine genome for the fatal inherited mistake.
GS have an inherited propensity for sudden death due to the occurrence of
abnormal heart beats that develop primarily during sleep or with certain
anesthetic agents. We have the needed pedigrees from GS for our research. IN
this proposal we put forth a comprehensive plan to used stored samples from
GS that have died and their relatives so that we can identify potential
abnormal genes and develop the markers for the most likely genes that could
be involved in the disorder.

http://www.akcchf.org/research/grants/search/index.cfm?search=breed&display=
results&breed=German%20Shepherd%20Dog

Margery Golant