[ SHOWGSD-L ] Subject: Discussion with the AVMA (PAWS)

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:38:22 EDT

Subject: Discussion with the AVMA
Forwarded with permission:

  Lists:
    I am very unhappy to report that AKC's PAWS Fact of the Day regarding
  the AVMA's support of PAWS is true.  I spoke at length this afternoon
  with a co- chair of the Committee, and he confirms that a position paper
  is forthcoming.
  This Veterinarian was very articulate and steadfast in his belief that
  PAWS will create a system where producers of sick and genetically flawed
  puppies can be tracked down.  He is aware of the "loopholes" in PAWS,
  and especially adamant that the "rescue" problems will be worked out in
  the re-write session.
    He asked where my organization stood on PAWS, and I let him know that
  NCRAOA could not support the bill as written.  We discussed the numbers
  game, how AR's will lower those numbers: we talked about the need for
  existing laws to be enforced before new unenforceable laws are passed: I
  asked how much clout AKC's support of PAWS carried with other groups,
  and he gave the spiel about AKC being proactive rather than reactive,
  how their involvement would actually help the fancy when regulations
  were written...he said he understood that AKC was getting hammered over
  their support by its' constituents, and I agreed.  I don't feel like I
  made any points with him, but I felt like he understood "our" concerns,
  and he said many of them would be addressed by the re-write.
    If anyone else would like to address the AVMA Government Relations
  Department, and speak to someone who will actually discuss PAWS,  they
  can be reached at:

  AVMA Governmental Relations Division
  1910 Sunderland Place, NW
  Washington, DC 20036-1642
  Phone: 800-321-1473 · Fax: 202-842-4360
  E-mail: avmagrd@xxxxxxxx

  Some of the lists are already talking about the AVMA going after the
  money, writing regs to require Vets to give vaccines, do quarterly
  physicals, etc..., as someone who has worked in this industry for 20
  years, I do not believe any of those "fantasy" regs played any part in
  AVMA's decision.  At the very core of their beliefs is a sincere desire
  to try to do what is right, and what benefits the animals health and
  well being.
    This has been difficult to write, as I think the hype and
  misinformation is winning.  Regardless of AVMA's position, I remain
  opposed to the federal legislation of hobby breeding, and will spend
  several more hours tonight writing more letters to send to the
  appropriate offices.  I hope all of you will stay the course, and
  continue to work for what you believe to be the right thing to do.
                                                      Natalie Rowntree
                                                      NCRAOA

www.FairhopeGSD.com