[ SHOWGSD-L ] Study of the Canine Mind

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:30:46 -0700

A Virtual Pack, to Study Canine Minds by CARL ZIMMER: In 1995, Brian Hare
began to wonder what his dog Oreo was thinking. At the time, he was a
sophomore at Emory University, where he was studying animal psychology with
Michael Tomasello. Dr. Tomasello was comparing the social intelligence of
humans and other animals.

Mr. Hare's experiments? The dog is of a higher species now; above rats,
monkeys and mice. Dogs have had too close an intercourse with man for
thousands of years, and have received too much from him. Hare's results can
only lead to adverse sophism's that will not cover the soul of the dog,
individual human conduct or influence and or mitigating environmental
factors.

I wish he would've investigated telepathic abilities in dogs and prove what
thousands of trainer's already know to be completely valid in his
experiments. The keenly observant dog feels very quickly whether anyone
wishes him well of not; indeed he knows how to interpret the opinion of
others with regard to his master, because he and his master are really one
in his estimation. Right....huh, huh and if it cannot fit in a test tube,
and if it is not a mathematical equation...it does not exist?

For Stephanitz was a "bloody genius," beyond his time for most minds of his
day, scientists scoffed at him. He knew that there were unique wolf canines
that were unlike all the rest of their kind. Unique, rare and perhaps they
should be called oddities, but there is no denying the ancestral man and
wolf bond that made history. I love these quotes from the man;

1. Furthermore, we have already asserted and proved that the wild wolf, fox
or coyote, kept like the domestic kind, eventually acquire the habit of
barking. I know my pure-bred Can. Wolf did living with my GS bitch Medora.
It didn't quite sound like the bark of a dog but it seemed more like it as
time went on.

2. Unreliability, shyness and treachery are three essential characteristics
of our dog-wolf mongrels of to-day. Brooke, an English enthusiast, who kept
and constantly observed all the wild dogs, wolves of different types, hyenas
and others he could lay his hands on, wrote me sayings that he would rather
have to deal with a wild old wolf than with a wolf mongrel.

3. Darwin shows in an abundance of conclusive examples, that cross-breeding
leads to deterioration and that connection by breeding between unrelated
races, or races whose qualities have been developed in opposite directions
leads to ineradicable degeneration. On this subject he remarks; "crossing
eliminates the virtues of both parent races, the only result is the true
mongrel, whose chief characteristic is lack of character." Man my gain
physical beauty through cross-breeding, but such is combined with mental
degeneracy. To this much be added the further consideration that the parent
belonging to the historically older and stagnant stock is sexually the
stronger, and therefore tips the balance in his own favor. The consequences
are loss of physical proportion, deranging of qualities and talents, which
no longer balance or compliment each other, thus producing animals which are
throwbacks in form and character.

With Stephanitz, Darwin and Brooke knew that through careless- mixing man
would lose critical portions of the canine mind. We CANNOT possibly imagine
the mentality of the dog if such carelessness did not occur. And such
training of the dog graced with such purity?

 4. "I know no animal which, in its sentiments and sympathies, is so tender
and intimate as the dog, or whose moral characteristics are so strongly
developed that one must in this respect indeed rank him higher than
humanity. There are few among us who can surpass him in fidelity and
unconditional readiness to sacrifice himself. How often has he not risked
his life, not only for that of his own master and his master's relatives,
but even for strangers? When he see's a loved friend grieve, he grieves with
him and knows how to express his sympathy in the most tender and tactful
way. I've seen this a million times. Nothing can be more touching than the
dog when he gazes with grief-stricken eyes upon his grief-stricken master,
and tries to comfort him with a most gentle stroke of his paw.

5. The Old Testament had recognized the bond between dog and man, for we
read in Ecclesiastes: "For that which befalleth the son's of men befalleth
beasts; even one thing befalleth them; as one dieth, so dith the other; yea,
they have all one breath; so that a man hath no pre-eminence above a beast."

"Anything with breath, praise the Lord" Kathy Partch "JoKay's"