[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Stud vs Dam

  • From: PlushPuppyOhio <plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:05:27 -0700 (PDT)

I think the Stud is also the variable in the equation, the bitch is usually
stable.  A lot of people only have 1 or 2 bitches to breed, so that is what
they are working with.  Rather than clarifying, "when I bred my so and so bitch
to "x", together they produced....."

Its easier to say "I got bad elbows when I bred to "x"."  Or I had no problems
when I bred to "Y".   Odds are your experience was with the same bitch... it
was just the stud that changed.

Though it does take two to tango..... people can control what stud they use
easier than what bitch they use.

Sean

InquestGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
Why is the Stud Dog always to blame?? There are 2 parents!
Dawn

You are right Dawn. It takes two. However, you don't see many ads for
"bitches" services, you do for "stud services".

I have always believed that if you shipped your bitch to be bred to a dog,
the stud owner should be listed as a breeder, since they are doing the work.
And if the bitch owner can't be bothered to whelp the litter, they should not
be listed as breeders either. I know, sometimes things happen, but I am not
talking about those times. I am talking about those who do these things as
the norm.

In a perfect world, the stud owner knows the bitches pedigree, and both the
stud and bitch owner have had time to sit down, look at the pedigrees, prior
progeny, or siblings if a maiden bitch/ novice dog. Look at these facts
before making a decision to breed these 2 dogs.

What we see is agents taking dogs here and there, if the intended dog
doesn't want to breed the bitch, then she is breed to a second or third option
dog.
Now what?

The funny part is sometimes the second and third option dogs end up being
the better choice....poetic justice you say? No. Getting lucky. Now, isn't
it a sad day when we have to admit that we just "Got Lucky on that breeding"?

But I digress......the truth is that Stud dogs dominate in the breeding
world, they get listed first in the pedigree and draw the most attention.

And until people realize just how important bitches are in the breeding
program, people will keep breeding to the dog that is going to make sure the
pups
get sold. Or noticed.

Sad but true.

Ileana

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original