[ SHOWGSD-L ] Stud vs Dam

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:56:45 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2005 1:31:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
InquestGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
......the truth is that Stud dogs dominate in the breeding
world, they get listed first in the pedigree and draw the most  attention.

And that is as it should be. A stud dog can do the  most good and the most
harm.
A stud dog can impact the breed whereas a brood bitch  mostly impacts a
kennel. Now before someone takes umbrage I am well aware that  the brood bitch
contributes exactly no more no less than 50% of the genetic  makeup of the
puppies. But she can have maybe 6 litters not much more in her  lifetime the
stud dog
is able to sire 100 litters in a year. This fact makes the  stud and the stud
owner much more responsible. I am taking no responsibility  away from the
judges I agree with Paul the judges are the guardians of the  breed. It is
possible for the judges to put a dog up who truly deserves to be a  CH. but
when
that dog does harm to the breed it is the owners responsibility to  do
something
about it.
In the 50 years I have been breeding I only owned  one such dog. Trust me it
is not an easy thing to do. But if you love the breed  it must be done.
Respectfully
Fred  Migliore