[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Stethascope or x-ray?

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx, sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, ORSuite@xxxxxxx, EJDegen@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:27:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/2005 10:14:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxx writes:
The neatest way that I have used to detect the  number of puppies is with a
stethoscope.
Lay the bitch down on her side a few times while you listen to her stomach
"sounds".
Takes a few times to get used to the gurgles and digestive sounds in a gut.
Once you are used to that.....begin to slowly move the stethoscope about 2
inches
at a time and quietly "listen".    Soon you will hear the INCREDIBLY RAPID
heartbeat
of a puppy!!!   It is truly an amazing sound.   Then slowly move the
stethoscope
another two inches and quietly "listen".    Doing this very carefully you can
literally
COUNT the number of heartbeats.    Haven't figured out how to determine males
and females yet though.....<G>
Then turn the bitch over to lay on her other side......and start all over
again.   You
can learn to call it EXACTLY.    The bitch loves the quiet interaction and
you will
love the sound of the heartbeats.
Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com
What a cool idea.  I have a stethoscope but never thought to use it to listen
for puppy heartbeats.  Like you, I do ultrasounds and have only done an x-ray
once because I was worried about the bitch.  Not worth whatever minor risk
there might be for a bitch who is progressing quite normally.  Can't wait to
try
this on my next breeding.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/