[ SHOWGSD-L ] Stethascope or x-ray?

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sally@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx>, <ORSuite@xxxxxxx>, <EJDegen@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:13:03 -0700

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: when to x-ray
>I have never exrayed a bitch in whelp unless I have a question in my mind as
>whether she really has any pups. My vet is always right so it is really a
>waste of my
>money
> I do not take my bitches places once they are bred - And I particularly avoid
> a vets
> office.
I figure I will know how many she has when she whelps.> > sally
                       **********************************

I totally agree Sally.   We never X ray or do Ultra Sounds unless we suspect a
problem
or a single puppy litter.    We just keep Mama home and watch her carefully and
we
are content to watch and "know" ourselves.   Again....unless we suspect a
problem
with just a one puppy litter.

The neatest way that I have used to detect the  number of puppies is with a
stethoscope.
Lay the bitch down on her side a few times while you listen to her stomach
"sounds".
Takes a few times to get used to the gurgles and digestive sounds in a gut.
Once you are used to that.....begin to slowly move the stethoscope about 2
inches
at a time and quietly "listen".    Soon you will hear the INCREDIBLY RAPID
heartbeat
of a puppy!!!   It is truly an amazing sound.   Then slowly move the stethoscope
another two inches and quietly "listen".    Doing this very carefully you can
literally
COUNT the number of heartbeats.    Haven't figured out how to determine males
and females yet though.....<G>
Then turn the bitch over to lay on her other side......and start all over
again.   You
can learn to call it EXACTLY.    The bitch loves the quiet interaction and you
will
love the sound of the heartbeats.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com