[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Specialty closed due to maxed out entries

  • From: "cinosamgsd" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 15:21:46 +0000 (UTC)

One reason why someone should't believe everything they read on the internet.
The writer of this story is obviously not dog show person.  She mentioned that
a Lab can be disqualified for being one pound off height/weight
requirements....LOL.   Well I've seen wickets at shows but never a scale.   The
lab standard is no more "rigid" than any other breed.    Here in the Midwest
the German Shepherd usually draws the biggest entries at all breed shows next
to the Golden Retrievers.   Lab entries were huge when  I first started showing
but now they are small to non existent.  I think a lot of that has to do with
the way show labs look in comparison to field labs.   People just don't relate
to them anymore.  I don't think people should look at popularity of a dog breed
when making an argument.   The two don't go hand in hand.
As for entries going down in Shepherds and not other breeds....well that is
nonsense.  Several all breed shows have folded because they can't draw entries.
  Most breeds draw fewer than 5 dogs at smaller shows. As I said....Shepherds
here in the Midwest anyway usually are one of the breeds with double digit
entries.   As a member of a successful all breed club I can tell you that we
are constantly looking to change up how we do things to keep our entries up and
cover expenses.    Dog showing is a fading sport.  I suspect that 10 years from
now there will be only a handful of all breed shows a year strategically
located around the country.  Small clubs and small dog shows will no longer
exist.   Just the way it is.
Cindy