[ SHOWGSD-L ] Something that definitely should be considered in regards to DM

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <paris-smith_k9s@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 14:59:06 -0700

DM is still such a controversial disease that has many bewildered. They say
the test is accurate but I do ask where is all the research statistics that
prove the accuracy. I have a male who tested at risk and go back and forth
on what I should do. Information like in the following link really makes me
question the current tests. Would love to hear other opinions and thoughts
on the subject. Keep it friendly ;)
http://www.change.org/petitions/ofa-university-of-missouri-dna-dm-test-desig
nations

Hi Tammy;
I read the petition and the notes from those who are supporting it and I
suspect that this is simply more of the ongoing controversy that started
when U of Missouri and Dr. Coates published their findings. In order for a
university team, such as the one at U of Mi. to publish their findings they
have to prove their hypothesis to their peers and have a repeat of the
process that provided the findings. Then they can publish. The controversy
broke out when the hypothesis of their theoretical opposition could not
replicate nor prove their findings. So, the bulk of hard science has fallen
in line with the U of Missouri findings. That does not mean that hard
science does not ever make a mistake, nor does it mean that allegorical and
experiential evidence should always be discarded. But there are many of us,
who all too often are willing to follow those who make a case without
research in contrast to those who have done the work.

I have dear friends who swear that the OFA U of M tests are worthless, but
cannot show where the findings of the university team are in error. That is
simply because, in some cases, they have wonderful dogs who come from DM
lines and they do not want to throw them away. They shouldn't. Even if a dog
is a carrier, OFA recommends that the results of the test be used as a
breeding tool and not be the only item considered in a breeding decision.
Should you or I breed a dog with one DM marker? Difficult decision! But
before the test, we all bred what we had without knowing and look where it
got us. And, in many cases, many breeders still breed without doing the test
trusting that, since they have not had it in their lines in the past, they
are free from it. Could well be.

So you raise a difficult question. The answer is probably as individual as
anyone one of us on the list. We have decided to do the test, and have found
two dogs who are not at risk but who are carriers. We have not bred them to
date, and probably won't, but I cry inside ever time I see my boy move
across the yard. Probably the best moving dog I have ever seen. Bu my
question for myself is, do I want to pass on his strengths along with his
weaknesses. My answer is, so far, no; but gosh am I tempted.

Many disagree with me, and they have reasons for their position.
I will change mine, when I see better science. For me, it is not a
controversial disease, even though I suffer from that conclusion.
Dave