[ SHOWGSD-L ] Some thoughts

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:37:09 -0700

Well, I was going to do a knock of "Green Egg and Ham" but frankly I don't
feel that talented this morning on one cup of coffee.

Based upon the past days posts - I think the following things need to be
addressed:

A)      This is NOT the first year where lack of procedure or a breakdown
thereof has left the spectators and exhibitors IRRITATED at the judge(s)
decisions.  What this lack of procedure or breakdown causes to the exhibitor
is this:  "If we could have only had a chance - what could have been?"

                                 i.      Last year there was a serious
breakdown of procedure.  In both dogs and bitches the winners of their
individual groups were never competitively gated with each other.  We also
had great judging from one of our judges - until "Thar she Blows!" started
in one of the latter adult classes, and the rest of the show went to pot.

                               ii.      The year before we had Hug-fest
international.

                              iii.      The year before that we had
Egomaniacs-R-Us with a Microphone.

We obviously have a serious problem.  The GSDCA can not continue to make
rules every time someone fouls things up.

B)      The length of time a judge has from the time they get their license
should be removed from the "requirements" to judge the National.  After all,
the above point alludes to judges who have been judging for a good many
years.  If 5 years or more is supposed to make a judge a "better judge" what
is the excuse for "A".

C)      Most importantly what this shows to me is - there's something wrong
with the voting procedure.  I can't tell you the number of times I have
heard the results of who got the National assignment and said "HOW IN HELL
DID THAT HAPPEN?".  The membership who votes these individuals in does not
have a good enough knowledge of who they are voting for a further symptom of
the problem within the breed - People with little or no knowledge being
given the right to vote for judges.  So with that said, I strongly feel the
following things should be put into effect:

                                 i.      Get rid of the Weighted Ballot.

                               ii.      Membership voting rights should be
limited to the venues that the member has participated in AT the National
within the past 5 years - by the bare minimum of making an entry in that
venue.  The only other caveat to that would be that AKC licensed judges or
Members of 20+ years may also vote regardless of 5 year minimum.

                              iii.      No sitting board member may judge
the National specialty.  I'm tired of the Board seats being used as
launching blocks for the coveted National Assignment.

Again, I wasn't at the show.  I didn't see it.  I know my above points will
never happen, because the ruling party is using their positions as stepping
stones, but this member is sick of the same crappola year after year no
matter who is ruling.

Ever watchful,

Kathaleen

Kathaleen Strong - Inflight Kennels Reg'd - Breeders of:

1995 US GV Spencer, AOE-1996 US GVx Lilly Marlene, Jubilee ROM