[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Snow or SUN

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:08:36 -0600

On 10/31/07 10:27 AM, Carolyn wrote:
> To make this dog related....the GSD coat is PERFECT in snow country as long
> as it the correct
> harsh coat and not the soft coats we are starting to see.    Long coats are a
> nightmare as their coat
> and any soft or silky coat gets balls of frozen snow on them and it is hard
> to get it to melt off.   The
> correct normal coats stay clean and dry in snow......two shakes and they are
> dry .......and clean.

  As someone who spent 10 years with both a GSD with a long stock coat
and an English Setter, let me assure you that the snow on the
long-coated GSD wasn't any problem compared to the balls that
accumulated on the English Setter's feathers!!  And at least Sebago had
that nice thick undercoat (and lots of black topcoat to soak up any
sunshine) -- poor Brittany just had thin hair that quickly wet and
cooled!  Of course, it took hours for Sebago to dry off once we got him
in ...

Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog)  &  Brittany