[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sled Dogs

  • From: "LEE SMITH" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:27:21 -0400

Many years ago, I went to the Northwest Territories in Canada to live for
about 10 days with a Chipawa Indian family and learn to dogsled. It was part
of a program the Canadian government was trying. The idea was to find a
second source of income for native Indians when trapping was off. We were
about 100 miles from the nearest family. It was an incredible experience and
just maybe the best vacation of my life. There was one other person, a
wildlife writer, and myself. At night it would go down to minus 60 and we
slept in 2 ten-pound down sleeping bags in a cabin their boys had slept in
years ago.

The dogs were not pets. They bred with wolves in order to keep the lines
from getting too inbred. We sometimes had to cut our own trails and the dogs
were not easy to control. The sleds are easy to tip. The dogs can cut a
corner on a dime and the sled becomes a fast moving sling shot. Guess who
went flying out?

The family were hunters and we had to check the traps and we were expected
to help with family chores, including feeding the dogs. I came back with a
much different point of view about hunting and living off the land. Dinner
was often hardtack biscuits, lard and dried buffalo strips and it was
delicious.

If you have the opportunity to try it, go for it.

Lee Smith