[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Shoulders....and....

  • From: "Kay Reamensnyder" <bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "carolyn mckenna" <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>, marhaven@xxxxxxx, SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:36:02 -0800

Also, one must consider the forechest (prosternum).
There must be adequate forechest for the muscles to attach to.........
the upper arm doesn't just swing foreward....it must be pulled.
The shallower the forechest and the shorter the upper arm, the small the
muscle
and the shorter the reach.

---Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus
---bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
---VISIT OUR WEBSITE:http://home.earthlink.net/~bedkar

shoulder......and it really is simple....
> As Carolyn McKenna originally stated.    First look at the lack of angles
in the
> posed photos.   Many shoulders....or UPPER ARMS are angled straight up
from the
> elbow joint, & the neck comes up off the shoulder blade at a
perpendicular angle.

> The shoulder should have a nice angled 90 degree lay on......much like a
lever.
> The neck should come out of the shoulder blade at a nice angle....not
upright
> or perpendicular.......but more in line with the angle of the croup.
> Also, the upper thigh from the hip bone to the point of stifle is at the
same
> angle as the shoulder blade....and the upper arm is at the same angle as
the
> lower stifle or thigh.  All this is all what makes the dog "BALANCED".
>
> When the dog trots, the shoulder blade and upper arm should  "open up"
> like a lever.  It opens up,  and  along with the angulated pastern reaches
> forward in direct relation to the rear propulsion and takes the
percussion,
> and softens the landing of the dog's body as it is propelled FORWARD by
the
> powerful driving rear.   THAT is the job of the shoulder and its full
extension.

> Precision gait is when the shoulder opens up at EXACTLY the same extension
> as the rear drives forward....and the front foot should FOLLOW THROUGH,
> low to the ground and as far back in follow through as the diagonal rear
foot
> in its follow through...ideally also low to the ground. ( but often not,
on either)

> It is the REAR that is the driving force that propels the dog forward!!
NOT the
> front reach!!!   The most important force in the ground covering gait of
the GSD
> comes from the rear....the transmission.   The front just absorbs that
forward
> thrust to prevent a jarring gait.   We will never get our shoulders and
front
> extension correct ...and precision balanced gait until we get it in our
rears!!!
> As long as we don't see that forward thrust as it propels the dog forward
we
> will  continue to see a lot of flopping rears and backs, and withers that
drop
> and fronts that lift and pasterns that lift when they come off the ground.
>
> START with the rear drive.........THEN move forward.........
>
> Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
> www.marhaven.com
>

> -----

The
> > vertical of what?  Do you mean beyond the vertical of the point of the
shoulder?
> > Lissa

> > POST is Copyrighted 2005.  All material remains the property of the
original author
> > and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind
are
> > permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the
Showgsd-l
> > Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
> >
> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF
> > ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION
OF ALL
> > PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A