[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SchH is more than bitework

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mickyadams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:32:59 -0700

That is so true. Years ago I sold a beautiful pup to a man, he did not want
to show but felt he wanted to do something with him so he was going to enter
him in obedience. I felt that was great, always liked obedience since you
can really bond with your dog. This puppy was not an alpha, actually more on
the soft side, and I told the man so. I was beyond myself when I found out
that this man had entered him in Schutzhund. This boy could not handle it
and eventually turned out to be a fear biter. Things like that can turn out
to be disastrous.
Lee F.

  From: Micky To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 7:18
PM
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] SchH is more than bitework

  I thought hard before I decided to offer up the following comments.
  Please don't bother to beat me up privately..I'll just delete those emails
:)
   It's a sensitive subject since both sides of the GSD world, and there are
really more than 2 sides.
  No one wants to have their dogs insulted, denigrated or made light of the
amount of time & effort
  you invest in your dogs.  ut here are my thoughts about what I've read so
far.
  First..SchH is much more than just bitework. It is 3 phases that take a
huge amount of time and
  then you have to bring all 3 of those phases together in a 1 day period
and try to pass all 3.
  Want to guess which phase is failed more times than others? I don't know
if it is still the tracking
  but when I first heard that years ago I actually counted the trial results
and more failed because
  of tracking than any other phase.

  Second...not every dog can do SchH even with training.    Not all dogs
have the drive and nerve to
  be able to handle all the pressure and it's not fair to the dog to expect
something from it that it is not
  suited for it's temperament. That is the same as saying every child can
sing opera if they are trained
  and if you ever heard me sing you'd know that was wrong :)
  This one is a pet peeve of mine because I see so many come out  and the
expectation is so high they
  don't enjoy their dog and find their strengths.

  I liked what Carolyn said.
  <<Would I ever spend the time to train a dog at that level if I had
one.......NAW......I'd rather be kayaking ......<G>>

  I can only control what I say and I'll continue to enjoy both sides of the
sport with dogs and continue to
  encourage those on both sides to do what their dogs are capable of and
enjoy it. After all that is what
  we're all here about right?

  I know the original point was whether GSDCA should/would/will support WDA
and how to go about it.
   I don't have any answers there.

  Micky Adams
  http://www.imaginationframedphotography.com
  http://www.newbeginningspottery.com
  "Those without a sense of humor are at the mercy of the rest of us."
  "Life is too short to wake up with regrets"