[ SHOWGSD-L ] Scary World We Live In

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 13:56:22 -0700

This last Wed., morning I took my GSD Koda for his usual run at 7:00 am in
an open area where it's supposedly safe off leash. My dogs always stick
right by me our whole walk. It's basically open land with some scrub brush
ever so now & then. We're on our way back home, I'm walking a bit a head of
him, a few seconds later I turn around & he's holding his left leg up in the
air. I yell out, "What did you do now in frustration?" I see he can hardly
put his weight down on that leg. We barely made it back to the house which
was about 4 blocks away. I never saw him chase anything. I couldn't figure
out how he hurt him self so quickly. By the time I got to him I couldn't see
any swelling, marks of any kind, etc. I just couldn't ID where it exactly
hurt on that leg. By the next day it wasn't getting better, finally got down
on the floor to look at it more closely to see a very red  swollen place
sticking out about the diameter of a quarter. I thought some kind of bite
most likely but what. So with much concern now I took him to the vet this
morning. We shaved that part of his leg which was right behind his wrist.
And there it was; two streaks of charcoal gray running up from this red &
swollen bump. The vet then said, "He has had a dry strike from a Rattler!"
Oh I didn't want to hear that! He's on Tramadol, Amoxicillin & Epson salt
hot packs. I truly thought about going early in the morning for that walk
thinking there wouldn't be any snakes out at that time. I felt so bad. My
vet said, "Even if you're walking on the streets here in AZ you have to be
careful on the sides of the road now for the snakes. They are every place
even crawling into your yards!" I've lived here for 17 years & there's
always a first for everything. I realize this could've been a lot worse. I
just hope the antibiotics/hot wraps take care of the poison.

It was a very emotional morning when we got to the vets office. So many
things were happening now at the clinic. After checking Koda in at the desk
& weighing him we sat down for our appointment. About 10 minutes later here
comes an older couple slowly through the door with a 13 year old GS carried
in with a rear hand-held carrier. She couldn't stand on her own. Her eyes
were glazed with gray as her whole face. She was thin & very weak. She then
lay at the solemn sides of the couple with a sigh. The couple said hello to
us with a warm smile as they looked to my shepherd with a very nice
compliment. Then looking down at their girl say; "Getting old really sucks!"
Looking at this very old girl & their comment hit me hard. I couldn't help
it -- I broke in to tears which didn't help the situation. I just couldn't
hold back at that moment looking down at this beautiful old soul. I've been
through so many old dogs that it brought every one of them back at that
time. There are mud slides, sink holes, earth quakes, tornados, floods,
ice/snow storms, deadly snakes, vicious animals & VERY old dogs.

Wanted to share, Kathy www.JoKaySedona.com <http://www.jokaysedona.com/>

http://showgsd.org/mail.html