[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sad News - Sally Holcombe, Kovaya Kennels

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:06:23 -0500

At 01:01 PM 9/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>We are very sad to report that Sally Holcombe of Kovaya Kennel fame, died
>this morning about 2:00 am in Nashville, Tenn.  She died of complications
>from
>bypass surgery.
>For those that don't remember Sally you might have seen the Kovaya name on
>dogs like
>
>Ch. Kovaya Contessa ROM- behind many of the great Covy-Tucker Hill breedings
>Ch. Kovaya's Judd ROM
>Ch. Kovaya's Jill ROM
>Ch. Roje's Hoseshoe of Kovaya ROM
>Imperial's Axel of Kovaya - Gilli son
>Imperial's Anchor of Kovaya - Gilli son
>Kovaya's Amanda of Shadowbrook ROM
>Ch. Roje's Kiss Me Kate of Kovaya
>Ch. Roje's Serena of Kovaya ROM
>Kovaya's Amanda of Shadowbrook ROM
>Kovaya's Trademark - Yocalla's Barney /Contessa
>Ch. Roje's Tatum of Kovaya
>
>This is just a few of the one's I remember - I'm not sure of how many of
>these or others were Select at our Nationals but I know there were lots
>-  Sally's
>breeding added many, many ROM pts to dogs like Gilligan and Mike.
>
>She wasn't always the easiest person for a Novice to talk with - but if you
>wanted a no-nonsense opinion she was the one in the South to go to - and she
>shared her vast knowledge of the breed with many, many of the well known
>breeders of today and yesterday.  How sad that we didn't further tap that
>knowledge
>while we could . . .
>
>Rest in Peace Sally - I know that you received a really warm greeting at the
>Rainbow Bridge.
>

>Barb & Mark Hefner        &     Sylvia McDaniel
>Marquin GSD                         Sylmar GSD

Thank you for posting this sad news.   I feel bad that I have not been in
contact
with Sally for several years & now she is gone.

As mentioned above Sally had great knowledge of our breed & was always
willing to help - if she felt you REALLY wanted to learn.   I was a
relative newcomer
when I first got to know her.   Actually, I bred a Strider daughter to
Shoes (over
20 years ago) &
stayed at her home while we were doing the breeding.   Yes, Sally was blunt &
no nonsense - qualities that I really admire.   You asked a question &
would get
an honest answer.   I learned so much from our talks.   One of her suggestions
that I have used over the years was about evaluating a litter for a good show
prospect.   She said, never try to "break down" a pup's qualities
(angulation, front,
& other things that you would look for in an older pup).   Sally said that when
evaluating a young litter, just watch all of them play, as often as
possible.   Then,
if there is a pup that your eyes seem to return to, a pup that you can't
keep from
watching - keep it, it may well be a star.   You can look for the details
as the pup
gets older.   She also taught me more about movement than several years of
reading & watching.

Anyway, I hope that she is resting & enjoying her doggy kids that preceded
her to the
Rainbow Ridge.    She will live on in the decendents of her kennel & breedings
and those that she mentored in the breed.

Sandy
Sandra Kozub
KcK Kennels
http://iweb.tntech.edu/rkozub/kennel.htm